Exceeding Limits via Code? (1 Viewer)

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:50
...for Memo Fields (Long Text, I believe, in later versions) can have up to 65,535 characters, or there about, when typed in...but when entered thru code is only limited by the size of the database.
The text box control has the limit of 65,535 characters (and is behaving erratically even earlier), the actual LongText/Memo field in the database is limited by table space size (1GB).

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 20:50
The text box control has the limit of 65,535 characters (and is behaving erratically even earlier), the actual LongText/Memo field in the database is limited by table space size (1GB).

Not quite true
The textbox control can display far more than 65536 characters if the record it is bound to has a larger number of characters.
For example, in the attached screenshot it has almost 49 million characters.
However if the textbox already has more than 65536 characters in a particular record, it becomes read only (for that record)

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 111

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I would imagine the correct solution is to normalise the data, and present it in another way. Maybe 31 rows of data, and monthly columns, in a continuous form.

Note that you will hit a physical form width limit at some point, which will prevent you adding columns indefinitely. I get about 30 or so columns of data depending on the column width.

@DocMan - thanks for the explanation of the width issue!

Maybe a datasheet has different width restrictions.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Dave
Not sure whether the first part of that response was aimed at me.
The screenshot was from an app purely designed to test the limit of form controls. I would never actually create a form like that

The form width limit is 22.75 inches no matter what type of form is used.
I've tried to get around the limit in various ways including the use of automatic form resizing. Unsuccessful in all cases

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@colin

this bit
I would imagine the correct solution is to normalise the data, and present it in another way. Maybe 31 rows of data, and monthly columns, in a continuous form.

was aimed at the @OP

Having hundreds of controls on a from implies it isn't normalised correctly. I thought there ought to be a way of presenting the data better to reduce the number of controls required.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 15:50
Just to be clear, not looking for an alternate approach because there is no problem. Only trying to understand why there is no problem.
Normalization is not an issue because it is a completely unbound form. It is purposely a non-normalized view. It is pulling normalized data and pushing in this format. Also not looking for any fix or alternate means to present this issue, there are many other alternatives. The question was simply about the ability to exceed 754 controls on a form or report. The answer was not code, the answer was that 754 is not the limit and MS has just not updated their list of limitations. It is something around 1015-1040. The other question was why it worked on the form and not the report. I believe there is not an issue, but dealt more with the process of cutting and pasting.

There are other approaches
1. make each month a subform
2. use a xtab
3. use a pseudo grid table and write to that
However, not looking for an alternative just trying to understand if I was exceeding the limit via code. There are some limits than can be exceeded. This was just a mistake in understanding the limit.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:50
There are some limits than can be exceeded.

Not true. ALL limits can be exceeded. You just have to clean up the mess afterwards.

Heck, even in New Orleans, it IS possible to eat too many boiled, spicy shrimp. Trust me, that's a limit I won't try to exceed again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom