Question Regarding Splitting a Database (1 Viewer)

jdp103

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:22
I have a database that has had a lot of corruption errors lately (like 1 or 2 a week) and I've been told that splitting the database can help with this (even if it doesn't resolve it). Ultimately I am going to convert the backend to SQL, but don't have the access rights yet to do that. So in the meantime, I just need a little help. What is the difference between creating an MDE file and splitting a database? Is there a preference? A benefit in one over the other? I just want to make sure that I make the right choice! Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

brucesilvers

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:22
Splitting a database means separating the tables from the queries, forms, reports, macros, etc., and you end up with a front end (with all those objects) and a backend (that holds the tables). Splitting is beneficial when you have multiple users accessing the database - you put the backend on the server and a copy of the front end on each users computer.

MDEs are simply restricted versions of MDB files. MDEs allow you to lock users out of design view, hide the database objects window, limit the menus and toolbars, etc. MDEs are a way to prevent users from accidentally or intentionally altering a database in ways you wish to prevent.

I'm sure others on this site can fill you in on all the issues that can lead to corruption of your database. Regularly compacting and repairing a database can prevent some of that. Saving your database in a compiled state can also help (open a form or code module, click Debug on the menu, and Compile database).

jdp103

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you! I am assuming that splitting the database is what i would want to do. And just make sure that it is compacted regularly? Also, do you need to compact the front end, also?

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, the front end on the users computer should be set to compact on close. The back end should only be compacted when it gets big. Check this out... compact and repair database

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom