Deleting the first three characters in a given field (1 Viewer)

D

dbbyron

I need to remove the "../" in front 850 records in a URL field. Does anyone have any advise on how to complete this task. Keep in mind that I am somewhat new to Access...

Thanks

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:55
If the characters you want to remove are ALWAYS 3 characters in length and ALWAYS the FIRST characters in the string then this will give you the results you want.

Right(Me.URLField, Len(Me.URLField) - 3)

Use this in an Update Query and replace the URLField with the actual name of your field.

D

dbbyron

I entered that into the update query, but when run it's telling me to "Enter Parameter Value" for "Me.URLField"

(I did substitute "URLfield" for the name of my field).

pcs

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:55
jack made a small typo....

try:

Right([yourURLFieldName],Len([yourURLFieldName]) - 3)

(jack and I both get a bit unreliable on Saturdays, as our respective nursing homes let us go to town for an hour to get lemonade and chase women...)

al

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
Al -

Don't forget to bring the cigars and I have some fresh flowers stolen from the day room to help entice the woman....

Jack

PS. Thanks for catching my error!

[This message has been edited by Jack Cowley (edited 12-08-2001).]

pcs

Registered User.
Local time
jack,

when are you going to get shed of that cigar-smoking flower-sniffing hussy? she is only after your money...

al

pcs

Registered User.
Local time
yeah? well she told me she had acute angina...

and i said 'well i hope so...cause your face is really UGLY'

al

btw: dbbyron said "we rock". have the 'Stones' done a 'Steel Wheels' performance at your nursing home yet...they appeared at mine recently...many of the women threw their teeth at them...Mick J. got so excited he did a 'wheelie' in his wheelchair!

[This message has been edited by pcs (edited 12-08-2001).]

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
Al -

Your hearing is obiously going.. I can't tell you what she said as this if a family site, but give it some thought....

We aren't allow much excitement so the last concert was the Kingston Trio in '55. Them were the days and I am right jealous of your situation. They promised us Bing Crosby but it turned out to be a video of and old TV program of him singing White Christmas. We are on strike....

Rich - You will be surprised!

R

Rich

You mean if al comes up trumps,he might not be refering to a deck of cards?

pcs

Registered User.
Local time
i never have understood when to use:

'came up trumps' as opposed to 'came up croppers' any elucidation appreciated...

al

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
Rich - Al always comes up 'trumps'! He is a very lucky man...

Al - Trumps vs Croppers.... One is better than the other...

R

Rich

Oh good, I'll get him to pick my lottery numbers for the next 25yrs

pcs

Registered User.
Local time
rich,
i'm a really bad choice for picking lottery numbers...only got one right and that was years ago. got a number in the draft lottery that probably prevented me getting my butt shot off in Vietnam. (that's a good to clue to my age!)

jack,
still don't know if i want to come up 'trumps' or 'croppers'. thought maybe Rich would help on this. i want to impress some friends of mine with my knowledge of British English. they live here for 6 mos. and in Weston-Super-Mare for 6 mos. i suspect neither country really wants them

al

R

Rich

I guess I'll have to get the Grandson to pick them, maybe he'll come up trumps.
Trumps is a game of cards here, so if you come up trumps you hold the winning hand, to come a cropper means the opposite, get caught out etc.
Can't understand why anybody would want to go to Weston Super Mare, went there on a camping holiday in my youth,it was shut and it never stopped raining! Haven't been back since.

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
Al,

As Rich pointed out you surely do want to come up Trumps.

I was too old for Vietnam...

To impress your British friends you need a pipe, walk with hands clasped behind your back whilst looking thoughtful, use words like "well done!", "cheers", "rather", do NOT refer to the Queen as Betty and the current PM is not Winston Churchill, but Tony Blair.

Rich,

In my youth (during the reign of Charles V)I was in England and the sun shown every day! Since I left it seems that it rains all the time especially in Weston Super Mare. Coincidence?

pcs

Registered User.
Local time
rich,
thanks. i'm sorted on trumps and croppers.
as to Weston Super Mare, i'm clueless! but also not sure why anyone would want to live here either.

btw: as i recall, John Cleese (a very funny guy, imho...Fawlty Towers was a real gem!) comes from Weston.

and Jack, i don't walk with my hands behind my back or in my pockets due to the danger of falling down!

al

[This message has been edited by pcs (edited 12-09-2001).]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom