Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Modules & VBA

Old 10-30-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
tingler0

tingler0 is on a distinguished road
DoCmd.TransferText runtime error

i am trying to import a CSV file into a table based on the selected date but i am getting a run-time error '2495' The action or method requires a Table Name argument. Here is my code if anyone can help.

DoCmd.TransferText , acImportDelim, Contracts, "\\Zbnawlfs002\Dept\AR-Collections\CashApplications\ContractLogReport\(Se lectDate).csv", True

tingler0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all
when you enter the code, the autoprompts should offer you choices etc. Without checking, I think you may be missing parameter(s)

if contracts is the name of the new table, it should be enclosed in quote marks, otherwise access looks for a variable called contracts. This may be the error
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
boblarson
Smeghead

Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,573 Posts
boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
DoCmd.TransferText , acImportDelim, Contracts, "\\Zbnawlfs002\Dept\AR-Collections\CashApplications\ContractLogReport\(Se lectDate).csv", True
Well, first of all, there is no comma after TransferText and before acImportDelim.

Second, as gemma mentions Contracts would then be the import specification and it would need to be in quotes. The next field is the table name, not the path. So, I think you'd better check the TransferText properties again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft Access VBA Help File
expression.TransferText(TransferType, SpecificationName, TableName, FileName, HasFieldNames, HTMLTableName, CodePage)
But the help file doesn't mention not using the parentheses. So it should be:

Code:
expression.TransferText TransferType, SpecificationName, TableName, FileName, HasFieldNames, HTMLTableName, CodePage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
boblarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:18 AM   #4
tingler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
Well, first of all, there is no comma after TransferText and before acImportDelim.

Second, as gemma mentions Contracts would then be the import specification and it would need to be in quotes. The next field is the table name, not the path. So, I think you'd better check the TransferText properties again:

But the help file doesn't mention not using the parentheses. So it should be:

Code:
expression.TransferText TransferType, SpecificationName, TableName, FileName, HasFieldNames, HTMLTableName, CodePage

Thank-you but now i am getting a Run-time error '31519' You cannot import this file.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
boblarson
Smeghead

boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold
What's your actual code now that you've fixed it? Maybe it is still slightly askew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:44 AM   #6
tingler0

After play with it a little yesterday i now have a runtime error '3044' not a valid path. i have verified the location of the file and it is correct, could be that it is on a server and not my C: drive?

here is the code.
DoCmd.TransferText , acImportDelim, "Contracts", "\\Zbnawlfs002\Dept\AR-Collections\CashApplications\ContractLogReport\" & (selectdate) & ".csv", True
Old 11-01-2007, 04:40 AM   #7
boblarson
Smeghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingler0 View Post
After play with it a little yesterday i now have a runtime error '3044' not a valid path. i have verified the location of the file and it is correct, could be that it is on a server and not my C: drive?

here is the code.
DoCmd.TransferText , acImportDelim, "Contracts", "\\Zbnawlfs002\Dept\AR-Collections\CashApplications\ContractLogReport\" & (selectdate) & ".csv", True
What is (selectdate) and how do you set it. That is probably the problem. First of all, you don't need the parentheses around selectdate and if you are trying to have someone enter it in as a parameter, use a form.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:40 AM   #8
Guus2005
AWF VIP

Guus2005 has a spectacular aura about Guus2005 has a spectacular aura about Guus2005 has a spectacular aura about
Like bob said earlier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
so remove it.

Guus2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: