Simply way to use the same code in different places? (1 Viewer)

Singh400

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:22
Simpler way to use the same code in different places?

I find myself using the same piece of code in different places. Just wondering is there a way I can store the code, and call it later?

So for example, I have alot of Date fields on my forms...

And I'm using the following code in txtDateOfBooking

Code:
Private Sub txtDateOfBooking_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)

If Weekday(Me.txtDateOfBooking, vbSaturday) <= 2 Then

Cancel = (MsgBox("The Booking Date is on a " & _
                         Format(Me.txtDateOfBooking, "dddd") & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
                         "Do you want to keep this date?" _
                         , vbYesNo + vbQuestion) = vbNo)

If Cancel Then Me.txtDateOfBooking.Undo

End If

If Me.txtDateOfBooking < Date Then

Cancel = (MsgBox("The Booking Date takes places in the past" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _

If Cancel Then Me.txtDateOfBooking.Undo

End If
End Sub

I have atleast a couple of more txt date fields (like txtDateOfEnquiry & txtDateOfCancel).

Now can I store the above code, and then change the above to

Code:
Call Date_Check_Fun
End Sub

Code:
Private Sub txtDateOfEnquiry_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
Call Date_Check_Fun
End Sub

Code:
Private Sub txtDateOfCancel_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
Call Date_Check_Fun
End Sub
I'd find it "cleaner" and less "bloated" to use this method. It's also alot easier to manage, if I want to tweak/change code.

Hopefully, you know what I mean, and I'm not talking gibberish.

Cheers.

Last edited:

jal

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:22
Move the code to a sub or function and then pass the textbox in question to the sub or function. For instance you can pass in the value Cancel ByRef to the sub so that it returns with the correct value.

Singh400

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, I don't know what you mean. Could you please expand?

jal

Registered User.
Local time
Something like this, maybe

Private sub Process(ByRef txt as Textbox,ByRef Cancel as Integer)
If Weekday(txt, vbSaturday) <= 2 Then
Cancel = (MsgBox("The Booking Date is on a " & _
Format(txt, "dddd") & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _

If Cancel Then txt.Undo
End If

If txt < Date Then

Cancel = (MsgBox("The Booking Date takes places in the past" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _

If Cancel Then txt.Undo

End If
end sub

Singh400

Registered User.
Local time
Yeah that doesn't help. Where do I put this code and how do I apply to 3-4 date/time fields at once(txtDateOfBooking, txtDateOfEnquiry and txtDateOfCancel). Instead of having to copy and paste the code several times and change it accordingly?

jal

Registered User.
Local time
Put the code anywhere you want, for example after this sub:

Call P
rocess (txtDateOfBooking, Cancel) <---- how to call the code
End Sub

Sorry I don't have time for a full tutorial on VBA. I was just trying to point you in the right direction. Also, I don't know all the specifics of your deal. In some cases code can be condensed to one sub called multiple times, in other cases you will need multiple subs - I don't really know your deal, but it looks doable, at first glance anyway.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 21:22
JAL is on the right track, but the proposed resolution might not work in every case. If you need to have a common Subroutine or Function, then set it up in a Common Module that is not related to any existing Form. In the database window, you can move to the Modules Section and either select an existing Module to put the code in, or create a new Module.

Once the Code is in a Separate Module, it becomes a Public item (and therefore "Private Sub" should become "Public Sub", etc). A Public Sub should be very close to what you are looking for, and can be accessed from any Module or Form in the project in the same way that you access other Subs. The same applies for Functions

Singh400

Registered User.
Local time
Put the code anywhere you want, for example after this sub:

Call Process (txtDateOfBooking, Cancel) <---- how to call the code
End Sub

Sorry I don't have time for a full tutorial on VBA. I was just trying to point you in the right direction. Also, I don't know all the specifics of your deal. In some cases code can be condensed to one sub called multiple times, in other cases you will need multiple subs - I don't really know your deal, but it looks doable, at first glance anyway.
Ahhh that makes alot more sense. Will Access automatically change the respective enteries in the code for each individual field?

@MSAccessRookie: Thank you for the information!

jal

Registered User.
Local time
Will Access automatically change the respective enteries in the code for each individual field?

@MSAccessRookie: Thank you for the information!

The code will apply to whatever textbox that you passed in during the call. For instance:

txt.Undo

will apply to the textbox currently passed in.

Not sure if that was your question.

jal

Registered User.
Local time
JAL is on the right track, but the proposed resolution might not work in every case. If you need to have a common Subroutine or Function, then set it up in a Common Module that is not related to any existing Form. In the database window, you can move to the Modules Section and either select an existing Module to put the code in, or create a new Module.

Once the Code is in a Separate Module, it becomes a Public item (and therefore "Private Sub" should become "Public Sub", etc). A Public Sub should be very close to what you are looking for, and can be accessed from any Module or Form in the project in the same way that you access other Subs. The same applies for Functions

You are right of course. The trouble with me is that I try to do all my projects using only a single form (typically with a tab control). This allows me to put all my code in a single form - no pressing need for a module in my case.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 21:22
You are right of course. The trouble with me is that I try to do all my projects using only a single form (typically with a tab control). This allows me to put all my code in a single form - no pressing need for a module in my case.

No worries here. In your case, your handling of it would be what you need. Being out of school for a few years (nearly 30 by now), I do not usually see such a small project. In fact, most my smaller projects have had 20-40 Forms to contend with. I just finished up one with 70+ forms and am starting a new one that has 35 Forms so far (and we are just starting). I guess that is one difference between school and business.

Regardless, the advice was exactly correct. I was just offering an alternative in the event that Singh400 could use the code in more than one form.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom