Convert 2007 native buttons/control macros for 2003 compatibility (1 Viewer)

fau5tu5

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:07
Have a database created in 2007 which has a main FORM, with buttons to start an data entry form or run reports.

The data entry input form has standard 2007 buttons/controls, like "New Record" "Save Record" "Next record" "last or previous record" "First Record" "Last Record" "Close"

As well as a couple of buttons that activate a little bit of VBA code. "Edit" (which makes the protected records editable) and "End Edit Mode" (which closes and re-opens the the form and saved records as protected)

None of these are functional when saved as 2003 compatible.

On the MAIN Form, I was able to go in using a 2003 machine and use the "Macro Builder" to have the buttons "Open Form" and "Open Reports" as they are common commands and options in the Macro Builder when simply right clicking on the buttons in Design View and selecting properties and "On Click".

But the rest of the buttons listed dont seem to have standard Macro building options.

Does anyone have a resource showing how to recreate Standard 2007 buttons/controls in 2003?

Or am I going to need to litterally figure out each button's function as a VBA operation?

Thanks...

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 10:07
It is possible to convert a macro to VBA code.

I have found that with 2007, if I am targeting the database to be fore 2003, I star with an MDB not a ACCDB. When creating command buttons, they will be compatible with 2003. I have not had good luck converting a 2007 format (accdb) back to a 2002/233 format (MDB).

I would recommend doing your development with the database in 2002/2003 format. It will upgrade to the 2007 format fine if needed.

I have also found that Macro do not always convert well between versions. I what been working with Access since 2.0 first came out. Whenever I have upgrade someones database, usually the issue are with macros. I stopped using any macros and only VBA code back with 2.0 and rarely have issues converting between formats (versions).

fau5tu5

Registered User.
Local time
HiTechCoach- that sounds like solid advice for future projects and I will likely go that way....

But what I need is to address the current issue with the database that I am currently working with. "Start Over from Scratch" doesnt really help me much here :)

So what I need really is the VBA code for the standard 2007 control buttons used in a 2007 form that I can use to make it function similarly when converted to 2003. Specifically:

"New " = creates a new record letting user input data
"Save " = Saves all the data input to the record
"Close" = Closes the form
"First " = Goes to the first record on file
"Last " = Goes to last record on file
"Next" = Advances to the next record
"Previous" = Goes to the previous record

I was dreaming, praying, hoping, that there would be somewhere a list of Subs for VBA that mimick the standard control buttons in 2007 that can be quickly used for 2003 or hard coded VBA as opposed to relying on 2007's internal processes.

Was I dreaming??

HiTechCoach

Local time
I was not trying to recommend that you start over.

What I would recommend is that you create a form in the 2002/2003 format and then create the buttons using the wizard. This will give you all the code you need. Test them to be sure that they work. Now you can copy and paste the code from the command buttons you database you want to update.

You might also consider this:

nav buttons

Hope this helps ...

Last edited:

fau5tu5

Registered User.
Local time
AHHH Ok.. I see what you are saying. (and yes I think your link is exactly what I was looking for)

I will try rebuilding the form in 2003 format.

Thank you . It Helps a great deal. I should get a chance to go through it by Sat. Wish me luck.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Glad you found the information helpful.

Good luck with your project ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom