Managing multiple small lists in one database (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Today, 04:26
It is not unusual to have multiple small lists that to be available to users from combo boxes. This, in itself, is not a real problem except that I do not like hard coding values in combo boxes and I do not like creating multiple tables to hold just a couple of values. Even if there are quite a few values for one list, if those values are not going to change drastically during the use of the application then it seem like over-kill to create one table per list. With the input and suggestions of others I have come up with a method that I implements often in my database applications to provide significant functionality to users for the purpose of managing multiple lists which are defined in a single table.

The attached database file, which is 2002 format but can easily be run in 2007, demonstrate the methods I use when implementing my multi-list management system. Information is included in the application, just click the Help buttons.

The demo database has the following features:

• Use a form to manage multiple lists in a single table
  • Display a unique list of List Types from the multi-list table
  • Display the list of values in a list box for the selected List Type in a combo box
  • Allow users to manage the values in any list
  • Allow users to add values to any of these list
    • Use the “OnNotInList” event
    • Use the Double Click event of the combo box
    • Use a menu option from the Main Menu of the application
  • Allow users to manage the sort order of each list
  • Allow users to simple deactivate an item from the list and not have to delete it
  • Demonstrates the use of a combo box to specify the values displayed in a list box
  • Demonstrates the use of combo boxes to display different value lists from the same table
  • Demonstrates the use of multiple filtering and sorting options
  • Demonstrates building a custom SQL statement to be used a the record source fo a list box based on selection and use of options on the form
  • Demonstrates the use of a list box for selection of a specific record to edit or delete

I have found the functionality demonstrated in the attached database to be very useful. I just hope that some of this is beneficial to some of you here on the forms.

Attachments

• SmallListMgmtDemo.zip
    153.9 KB · Views: 1,947
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom