convert 2003 to 2007 question (1 Viewer)

bbxrider

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:54
there are 3 2003 access db's
dataDb - only tables with data
objectsDb - all the queries reports, etc, all data tables are from links to dataDb
securityDb - .mdw which controls persmissions to objectsDb

so i can point access 2007 to the securityDb and get objectsDb open so I can convert it to 2007 (save as). but i can't open dataDb directly, so don't see how i can convert it?

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 09:54
there are 3 2003 access db's
dataDb - only tables with data
objectsDb - all the queries reports, etc, all data tables are from links to dataDb
securityDb - .mdw which controls persmissions to objectsDb

so i can point access 2007 to the securityDb and get objectsDb open so I can convert it to 2007 (save as). but i can't open dataDb directly, so don't see how i can convert it?

The new Access 2007 format (.accdb) does NOT support User Level Security (ULS). It was dropped in the new format.

If you want to continue to use ULS, you must keep the database in the .MDB format. AFAIK, Access only supports ULS in an MDB.

bbxrider

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:54
so for writeups similar to this
http://books.google.com/books?id=Fk...nepage&q=access 2007 convert mdw file&f=false
what they mean is you keep all your .mdb's (as mdb's) and can still run them through their .mdw's running under a2007 on a machine that only has a2007 and not a2003, yes?
there is also writeups suggesting converting tables into sql server and using a2007 for reports, forms, etc pointing to the sql server tables and being able to use sql server security features. does that mean that windows username/password info is passed through a2007 to the sql server for determining user accessiblity to the data stored there? so the end result is something akin to ULS but implemented through sql server? obviously for the 'data' component. the permission for the the particular reports, forms, etc, is still managed through a2007?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom