Command or action 'Copy' isn't available!! (1 Viewer)

DvDj

Local time
Today, 06:53
Hi Hopefully this is a really simple one for somebody. I set up a form that allows individual records to be input.

Often the information being input into the records is the same as the last entry. So i put in a 'Duplicate' button. This was working absolutely fine allowing the user to hit the button and it would duplicate the information and allow the user to edit/change one or more fields and save the information as a new record entry.

Passed on the application to another member of staff who used it for five minutes before she was presented with (having clicked on the 'Duplicate' button) the following error message: - 'The command or action 'Copy' isn't available now'

Initially i tried deleting the button and reinstalling the button, but that didn't work. I have no idea as to why this has happened or what the solution might be.

Can you help?

Many thanks in advance for your time

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:53
sounds as if the record hasn't been saved yet, thus preventing it from being copied.

Welcome to the AWF!

Linq ;0)>

DvDj

Local time
Thank you for the feedback missinglinq. I went back through each individual record and saved each individual one and once i had finished tried the duplicate button.

This time an error message came up with paste instead of copy!! so

'The command or action 'Paste' isn't available now'

Any further thoughts?

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
If the record you're trying to copy and paste has been saved, it sounds as if the troubled user's copy of the database is 'Read-Only.'

This can be caused by a number of things, but assuming that her copy of the db is just that, a copy of the file installed on her machine, it sounds as if she only has "Read" privileges for the folder holding it, or at least the folder holding the data, if this is a split app, rather than 'Read/Write' privileges.

Linq ;0)>

DvDj

Local time
I'm sorry to say that it's not that either as we are both using the same file and it is happening to me also. As i said it was working this morning, this has come out of the blue.

Is this starting to look like i will need to re write the page?

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Sorry, but you said nothing about it not working for you as well as your associate! Barring a corrupted file, you've apparently changed something so that you can no longer add new records. There's a number of things, including but not limited to having AllowAdditions set to No, that can cause this. The form being based on a query can also cause the problem. If this is applicable, have a look at Allen Browne's paper on the subject:

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-61.html

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 22:53
... we are both using the same file and it is happening to me also.
If this is NOT a split database (frontend/backend with a copy of the frontend on each user's machine) with you both using the same file, it is pretty likely that you have corruption going on. You should not be using the same file at the same time.

DvDj

Local time
Thank you Boblarson and missinglinq for both your help on this issue. When i open the database myself i was expecting to be told (in much a similar way that Excel does) that it was read only as someone else had it open and did i want to be notified when the other user had finished.

When this didn't happen i stupidly assumed that Access was syncing everything.

I have now rebuilt the page, and we are all a little wiser now in the office!!

Again thank you both for your time in helping me understand this.

DvDj

Local time
Just a quick update to this problem.

Thought i had fixed it, but problem started reoccurring. I have checked all read and write issues and all are good. it turns out it was a conflict with a program called 'Multimon' which is a second taskbar that resides on your second monitor. It has a tool that stores all clipboard information so that you can cycle through it's history, very, very useful for all other occassions. But, like i said, doesn't work with Access.

Emily

Registered User.
Local time
I have the same problem. One of my user uses the copy button a lot, the system works before and all of a sudden it just give me the error copy command not available. After reading your post in this forum, I told my user to just log off and log back on again, then the copy function works again. May be somehow the clipboard got full and it needed to be flushed out.

I just wanted to thank everyone who had posted on this forum. I really learn a lot from you guys thank you.

jlee.2000

Registered User.
Local time
I have read the previous responses to this thread but I am still having a similar error 'Command or action 'Paste' isn't available Now'. The suggestions to troubleshoot the issue within this thread have helped me with my computer and I have tried this with another but I am still receiving the same error as before. I restarted the computer to clear the clipboard and I am still receiving the error when I try to use my duplicate button. The following is the code I am using. Any help would be appreciated because multiple people use the same form from different machines at different times. I am lost and cannot seem to find any other substantial answers other than what I have read in this thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jlee.2000

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry forgot to post the code that is in the Macro for my Duplicate Button
Option Compare Database

Private Sub Duplicate_Record_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_Duplicate_Record_Click

DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSelectRecord
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdCopy
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdPaste

Exit_Duplicate_Record_Click:
Exit Sub

Err_Duplicate_Record_Click:
MsgBox Err.Description
Resume Exit_Duplicate_Record_Click

End Sub

IanO

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:53
I am having the same problem, but can offer some further symptoms.
I have been searching for several weeks for a solution.
Using Access 2010, Win 7 64 bit. A week ago I used the same VBA code below under a button
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdCopy
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdPaste

The code worked for a few days then I suddenly received the error message.
This might have been related to a Windows upgrade, but reverting to a previous restore point made no difference. I tried using the macro approach and received the same message! It appears that it is not VBA problem.
Today I tried the code on a new form in the same database and it worked, but a few hours later it stopped again. This is driving me nuts.

IanO

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:53
Further update.
The problem suddenly cleared and I have no idea why. No problems since

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom