variable syntax in rs.Findfirst. (1 Viewer)

coasterman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:01
Hi I am using the api fosusername() function as the source for my search in the FindFirst method.

Code:
Dim Uname As String

Dim rs As Object
    Uname = fOSUserName
    Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone

rs.FindFirst "[UISID]" = Uname '
    If Not rs.EOF Then Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark
    DoCmd.Echo True

When I replace the Uname with say "Administrator" it works but no end of rearranging the quotes seems to get me the same results with the variable I am trying to pass as the criteria?

First time with this method so doubtless I am doing something a bit stupid?

Help please!!

Thanks for looking

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 11:01
rs.FindFirst "[UISID] = '" & Uname & "'"

??

coasterman

Registered User.
Local time
Hi

Thanks for reply but still no joy "Jet database engine does not recognize 'Administrator; as a valid field name or expression".

When I put a watch on Uname the variable is assigned correctly as "administrator" so other than syntax which I assumed was the issue I don't know what I am doing wrong. As I said in original post when I replace the Uname variable with the "[UISID] ='Administrator' " it goes straight to the record I need, puzzling?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
By the way you should be using the NoMatch piece in there in case there isn't a match.

Code:
Dim Uname As String
Dim rs As Object

Uname = fOSUserName

Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone

rs.FindFirst "[UISID]= " & Chr(34) &  Uname & Chr(34)

If rs.NoMatch Then
     Msgbox "No match was found.  Contact your support person.", vbExclamation, "Error"
    Else
     Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark
   End If

rs.Close
   Set rs = Nothing

Also, fOSUserName should be returning the network login ID of the person logged into the computer at this time. You do know that, correct? So, is your network user name really Administrator in this case? Is that what you are logging in under?

coasterman

Registered User.
Local time
That did it!

Just so I understand this fully. It it the case that Dim'ing the variable as a string is not the same as a literal string in an expression hence the need to surround in chr(34)?

If the point above is true would the same method be used say in a Dlookup situation?

And again thanks for taking the time to resolve this for me.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yes, you are correct and yes, it does need to be done that way in a DLookup (or other places as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom