Closing Excel from Access (1 Viewer)

beginner83

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:20
Hi All,

On the click of a button on an Access form I create an Excel spreadsheet and write records to different tabs. This works fine if I don't touch Excel while it's running. If I close the excel sheet being created while it's running, if I try and click the button on the Access form to start the process again, it throws an error. Even when the spreadsheet successfully completes and I save and close it, if I click the button again on the Access form it won't work. I've read that this is something to do with the instance of excel that has been creating my spreadsheet isn't closed but I don't know how to close this in my code. I've created an instance of Excel..

Code:
Dim xl As New Excel.Application
Dim wkbk As Excel.Workbook
Set wkbk = xl.Workbooks.Add
With wkbk
End With

I've tried using xl.Application.Quit, that closes the instance of Excel but when I click the button on the form again it won't work and the only way to make it work is to close the database and open it again.

Does anyone know how to close Excel??? :banghead:

Thanks in advance

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Try this after End With..
Code:
wkbk.Close

SteveH2508

Registered User.
Local time
Somewhere in your automation code for Excel you have a reference which is not fully qualified, meaning it does not start with your Excel object - then your next object and so on. This starts a new instance of Excel which hangs around afterwards.

These can be a PITA to find.

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
After close try Quitting the Excel application like..
Code:
xl.Quit
Is it possible to show the complete code?

beginner83

Registered User.
Local time
After close try Quitting the Excel application like..
Code:
xl.Quit
Is it possible to show the complete code?

When I try this I get error

Method 'Quit of object'_Application failed.

My code is quite long, I'll try and chop it down and post.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:20
In addition to what Paul said...

You might need to close the Recordset first. (Note: change to rst to whatever you are using)...

Code:
rst.Close
Set rst = Nothing
Also, be careful *stripping down* the code because you might strip out important parts we need to troubleshoot your mesage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom