Progress bar on form based on field data? (1 Viewer)

NickDenyer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:43
Hi all!

Wondered if somebody could help me...

I have 26 fields on a form that require manual data input. I want a progress bar at the top of the form to show the user how much % they have completed, as I want 100% completed data per record.

Can find plenty of threads on progress bars, but they all appear to be cmd button based, or based on loading.

Can anyone assist me please?

Thank you!

N

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:43
What are you having problems with? Making the Progress Bar show the completion?

NickDenyer

Registered User.
Local time
Hi RuralGuy,

All of it! Have no idea where to start! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
just base it on the after update event for each question so the bar is refreshed every time the user completes a control.

The examples you found will show how to create a progress bar

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:43
You can put x number of textboxes lined up on the form. Change the back color or make them visible based on the progress made. Do that from a function called from the after update event of each control. It counts the controls filled out and decides from that how many to affect. That can be done with a For/Next loop and numbered textboxes like "txtProgBar1", "txtProgBar2", etc. You refer to them in your loop like:

Me.("txtProgBar" & x)

where x is your loop counter.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Boy, who's the slow typist in this group? :p

NickDenyer

Registered User.
Local time
Boy, who's the slow typist in this group? :p

Haha guess it's an eager group! Thanks for the support everyone, will give a few things a try and see how they turn out!

If anyone else has some ideas the more the merrier!

Cheers!

NickDenyer

Registered User.
Local time
Hi again all!

So I've been reading up on progress bars but I'm still unsure...

I have added one to my form via activex, but am unsure of how the form interprets my 30+ fields as a whole. I thought about doing 30 labels and assigning each as hidden, and enabling them visible once data has been added to a field. But this will mean gaps in my progress bar as the first field might be entered last etc based on data that we have. Any thoughts? Can anyone explain this to me please?

thanks!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You wouldn't have gaps if you counted how many controls had been filled out and make that many labels visible.

NickDenyer

Registered User.
Local time
You wouldn't have gaps if you counted how many controls had been filled out and make that many labels visible.

Thank you for getting back to me! Unfortunately I'm not as skilled as I feel this level of knowledge requires: How do I do what you have mentioned above?

Thank you!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Have you tried the For/Next loop mentioned in post 5?

NickDenyer

Registered User.
Local time

Thanks for passing this on to me, jdraw. Problem is, like so many posts, this relies on a cmd button. What I'm looking to do is have a form with 30 fields, and as you add data to each field the progress bar fills up based on how much you have completed. But this video has gave me insight into the background working of the bar. I think I need to research 'loops' in access.

Thanks very much!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Regarding the button, I'd create a little function and call it from the after update event of the 30 controls.

NickDenyer

Registered User.
Local time
Regarding the button, I'd create a little function and call it from the after update event of the 30 controls.

Thanks for your response, pbaldy. Have I got no choice then regarding a button? As I'd really rather not have a cmd button. I was hoping that as each field has data entered then the bar would progress, which is where the afterupdate comes into play. I'm pretty stuck with this whole issue as its way above my access capabilities.

Any further info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't think pbaldy has suggested a button anywhere Nick. I'm a bit puzzled by your last post.

NickDenyer

Registered User.
Local time
I don't think pbaldy has suggested a button anywhere Nick. I'm a bit puzzled by your last post.

Thanks for the reply, RuralGuy. Must be my mistake then, just pbaldy had put 'regarding the button' but I've obviously misread.

Sorry!

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
He was suggesting you create a function that bumps the progress meter and call it from the AfterUpdate event of each control the user is completing. No button involved.

NickDenyer

Registered User.
Local time
He was suggesting you create a function that bumps the progress meter and call it from the AfterUpdate event of each control the user is completing. No button involved.

Ah I see ok my apologies for the misunderstanding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom