Access to Excel to Iphone 6 Plus with Excel and back to Access (1 Viewer)

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:49
For anyone interested I thought I would add my results at this stage, which now includes an Android phone alone with iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air 2.

Firstly, using and Excel file with If/Vlookup and is a simple "mode of payment" thus there will be M, Q, H or Y in one column and amount in another column and the answer column is the yearly amount, so nothing special.

While the Excel file works fine what is unreliable is the "upload" and thus changes don't appear on the computers and other phone and iPad. Message at top of Excel screen will be....Can't upload...Someone else has checked out this file.....Closing computers and phones/iPad, closing the file etc. does not change things. Sometimes a message along the lines of ....Discard changes etc. comes up. If selected another box opens and if Discard is chosen then changes drop and file uploads.

The above is a hit and miss affair in the sense it does not happen every time.

However, using a simple Excel file that is just rows of data then everything works perfectly and transfer to other phones and computers is straight away. I even tried (many times) turning my internet modem off as well as one of the phones and then making changes on the phone that was powered on. I then turned that phone off (complete power down/off) and then went to the other phone and iPad and changes were there. Turned the modem back on and all changes were on all computers which was 5 Toshibas.

With the phones if the file is opened via Excel Online you can't make any changes, the file has to be opened from Excel on the phone. The computers and the iPad allow Edit on Line. However (and this happens every time) if the file has been opened on the iPhone then Edit on Line on the computer won't work until 35 to 40 minutes have elapsed. No such problem with the Android.

Of course to change the data on the computer you don't have to use Excel on Line but just open the file sitting in OneDrive.

As a side note I normally save Word and Excel as 97-2003 format. However, that resulted unreliability in Excel. Don't know about Word as I have not done much with it in this area. All computers are Windows 10, the major update that happened in November and Office 2016 in Office 365.

In a nutshell it works perfectly for my purposes as the Excel files are simply a product of Access and the setup will take the Excel changes back to Access....in short the Excel files are only rows of data.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:49
One other issue I forgot to mention is that with a file locking situation part of the Microsoft message is along the lines of "if everyone is working on Excel Online then all is wonderful etc....

Unfortunately with phones, both iPhone and Mobile you can't make changes when you open the file via Excel Online. What happens is when you tap in a cell the entry appears in the top bar as normal but is greyed right out and tapping there does not bring up the keyboard. Thus on the phones you have actually open Excel for phones. No such problem with the iPad or computer with Excel Online.

If you could use a tablet as a phone then the ideal would be a iPad mini 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom