Lookup Help Required for Beginner ...

cormat

Local time
Today, 23:17
Hi,

I'm trying to create a database for our training department to use to generate joining instructions for training courses. So far I have created the form generally as I want it to look and it does almost everything I need it to except for one thing.
I want the user to select the hotel name from the list and for the appropriate hotel address details to populate in the appropriate fields. I thought a table lookup would be simplest for this and would keep the design of my form relatively simple as this will be printed as their joining instructions. Someone recommended I use a sub form for the hotel info but a) I couldn't get that to work and b) I didn't like the appearance it gave the document.

I've attached the database to give a better understanding of what I'm trying to do. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

TC

Attachments

See this tutorial on database design. Work through the example. You will learn if you work through the exercise.

Hi,

Thanks for that, I will work through the entire tutorial when I have more time however, I need to get this done today. Any quick steps that you can advise I change in the existing database to help?

Thanks

TC

What you display and what you print are not necessarily the same.
If you created a query that pulled in the hotel details for with the rest of the booking details, and used that as the basis for a report printed from your booking form you wouldn't have the "Prettyness" issue.

Also a sub form can be made to look like an integral part of a form with a little thought applied to the design.

As a idea/hint if your sub form is only displaying a single record, if you remove the record selectors and navigation buttons, and set the border style to either 1pt or transparent it will look like it is simply a normal part of your form - the same can apply to a report.

Hi,

Ok I can work through it with the subform then, thank you. The problem I'm now getting is that I can't link the combo box (with the hotel info) to the subform. How do I do that?

TC

I have't looked carefully at your db, does your combo have the hotel ref (UniquePK) as a hidden column?
If so make that the bound column of the combo and link the sub form to that. (Hide it on both forms, your end users don't need to see it)

cormat,

You need to structure your database.
All tables should have a primary key.

In 4 - 5 lines WHAT exactly is your database about --that is WHAT is the business this database will support? Plain English, no jargon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom