Thread by DanielD has been deleted (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 00:12
Yesterday there was a thread posted by a college student called DanielD called - How do I find the most popular products - in the Queries forum.

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=297246&goto=newpost

He seems to have taken it down which is a pity.
The thread had several replies by myself and others.
It was a good example of how not to respond to assistance provided by forum users.
In fact I referred Daniel to this post:https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=296747

Any chance it could be restored to the forum...

NOTE: I've tried to send him a PM but he has blocked those

Peter Reid

Registered User.
Local time
It's been restored now (it wasn't when I tried a few mins ago)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
It's not something I do very often undeleting a post... https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=297246 So check and make sure it's back. Let me know, I ask this because as moderator, I can see it whether it's deleted or not. Therefore I'm never sure if it's in public view or not... I think the dusty Bin is a dead Giveaway that it's been deleted, but I'm not 100% sure!

There are mixed views amongst the moderators on whether opie's should be able to delete their posts or not, so it may remain in view or it may get deleted again depending on, I don't know what really! Basically the Opie has rights but also the people that have responded have rights too and really once you have made a public statement it's sort of out of your hands; or is it? Let's say it's an evolving policy and it's interactions like this which will firm it up into something concrete!

Thank you very much Colin, for raising your concerns over those spamming posts. I think you caught a concerted attempt at spamming the site in the bud! I'm pretty sure there'll be some more though! So please remain vigilant....

EDIT:-
Just to say I'm not suggesting disagreement between the moderators. The moderatorship is run more like a consensus. There's no controlling body... (Jon?) Things are agreed by a very relaxed voting system. Basically we all work very well together, things just get sorted out, no drama! (Well, not yet anyway!)

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks Tony - its now back though as you say he may well delete it again

Keep up the excellent work looking after the site ...:)

BTW - I loved your Douglas Adams quote in response to a post of mine - did you see my reply?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 16:12
Tony, yes the "dusty bin" indicates a deleted thread/post. I'm with you, I don't think threads with replies should be deleted.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 19:12
i propose a new AWF tile: Sergent At Arms. Of course Ridders is a shoe-in as the first member to hold the title,got my vote anyway!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
:D
Hey thanks... I think....

Ironically two of my own threads were deleted by another forum today and a third was 'edited' for mentioning this forum. Compare and contrast this forum with another well known Access forum... two letters both vowels.

They've also told me that my latest thread where I've raised the same issues will be deleted because its cluttering the forum. None of my posts have been rude or offensive in any way ... I reserve that for this forum ;)
Go figure ....

If you are interested in finding out more, have a look soon before it too gets deleted and possibly I get struck off. I have the same username.

EDIT 9:15PM UK time
If you didn't do so, you're too late.
The thread was deleted by the Utter Access site owner who appears to have blocked my access rights as well.
So as if I didn't spend long enough on here already, you may be even seeing more of me here at AWF

Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
a third was 'edited' for mentioning this forum.

I suppose from a site owner's perspective, links to another forum are links to the competition. That said, I don't agree with the actions taken. Maybe there's more money at stake than I realize. Tell Jon I want a raise!! :p

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Paul

I have been blocked and all my UA posts have also been removed by the site owner.

I can of course see why using one site to advertise another would be frowned upon but that wasn't the case.

Forums should be run in an adult way and this was anything but that...

BTW am I right in thinking you're a mod at UA as well as here at AWF?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Wow, that's way overkill. No, I'm a member there but not a mod. I am going to have to ban you for mentioning them though. :D

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Wow, that's way overkill. No, I'm a member there but not a mod. I am going to have to ban you for mentioning them though. :D
Now that would be Funny!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Mentioning who Paul? :

I should of course have written 'at another website' in line with how 'another website' edits posts.
And any mention of the forum software should of course be written as 'alternative software'.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:12
Ironically two of my own threads were deleted by another forum today and a third was 'edited' for mentioning this forum. Compare and contrast this forum with another well known Access forum... two letters both vowels.

The thread was deleted by the Utter Access site owner who appears to have blocked my access rights as well.

Consider it a badge of honour. GutterAccess mainly exists to glorify their high priests. I was banned a few years ago for daring to offer a different opinion from their standard doctrine.

It was just after I rewrote the Number2Letter functions in their VBA library wiki, improving the performance by forty percent. The original poster had included his name as a comment and I added mine. They subsequently removed those attributions leaving only the UA copyright notice.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Well, I watched this stuff go down with Colin at UA today, and holy crap, I'm pretty turned off by those guys and how they handled things. The admin guy was just ugly, talking about how he owns the place and can pull whatever levers he wants, and went on to accuse Colin of having the sole motivation of posting there to promote another site. Yuk. It sure soured my opinion of them.
Mark

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Could be that UA thought you were the “other” Colin....?

At any rate, back when I had to use google even more to find Access answers than I do now, I quickly learned that UA was NOT a valuable source. More often than not the advice given was incomplete and simply did niot work.

I have visited a few but this is the one that I chose to give my time and money to. ‘Nuff said.

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Col, your replies to the OP took me back a few months when I received a cold-call from a guy who “heard” I knew “a lot about Access”.

He said he needed help and asked if I could assist. I said yes and met him in his office at lunch time. He was taking an online course about MS Office and Access was the one app that he couldn’t grock. His assignment was due that day and he had done nothing.

I wish I could say I walked away in disgust and took a higher tack - but for a few reasons, I did not. I took pity on him and tried to coach him on his assignment but got frustrated and simply took control and did his assignment for him.

Damn fool even tried to pay me for my time but I refused. Told him I might need a favor one day and left it at that. We shook hands and we went our separate ways. I have since seen him on the base from time to time and he avoids eye contact -to the extent that I intentionally stepped into his path and forced him to acknowledge me.

This is one of those moments in life where you wish you could go back and do that bit over again.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi all

This is a quick thank you to all who've contacted me via forum posts, private messages & email following my banishment from "another forum" (UA)

I will of course continue to post here, hopefully for many years to come ... AWF is a brilliant site and I'm proud to be a member here

Good to hear that I'm far from alone in my experience with "another forum"
And some of the alternative names for that site made me laugh out loud... :D

However, unlike some of you, I had had largely positive experiences with the site until yesterday.

OK its definitely the case that the UA site owner behaves like a spoilt toddler having tantrums .... or like Donald Trump on Twitter :p

BUT as is definitely the case with AWF, it contains a significant number of highly knowledgeable & skilled contributors who dedicate a lot of time to helping others.

Of course it also contains a number of pompous prats (and before anyone else says it .... one less as of yesterday!)

As I mentioned before, all my posts have been removed (not by me)
As a result reading threads that I had made significant contributions to is now a bit like hearing one side of a phone conversation with other users responding to my comments which of course no longer exist ...
For example:
http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2046451&hl=
http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2046542&hl=

I will. of course, miss the direct contact with a number of people there ....

Actually, that's not really true.
I'm going to rejoin with a different user name & email - there will be a prize to the first AWF member who identifies me correctly
BUT please don't 'out' me there ... send me a PM here saying who you think I am - there are clues in the new name which may help

Why do so?
So I can make contact with various forum members privately & grab any useful code before I get banned again.
Next time, I'll make sure the ban is justified

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi Colin, I too saw it all unfolding, and it was utterly childish.
It was indeed Trumpesque in it's absurdity
I won't be spending much time there after seeing that.

I did find it vaguely amusing when after I mentioned a cross-post, someone referred to me as "Novice" Minty. I'd like to think that I'm a little further down the road than that.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi

i hadn't intended to post again about my 'misfortunes' but there has been an update which I'm going to share

I rejoined the 'other forum' with a different user name & email.
Nothing wrong with that - lots of people do that all the time.

I posted one question & saved a copy just in case.
Below is the question in its entirety....

Question about site guidelines

Hi

I am an experienced Access developer who has joined the site after many months lurking as a guest.
I did so partly to thank the many outstanding contributors to the site such as Daniel Pineault, Albert Kallal, the DB Guy and many others too numerous to mention individually.
Also because I wanted to ask my own questions & hopefully answer those by other forum members

I hope this is the correct forum for my first question

I've read the site guidelines and want to get clarification about links to other sites.
I'm asking because I don't want to fall foul of your forum rules.

This question is prompted by an exchange where one member started by querying why a thread had been removed.
She/he then expressed frustration when mentioning another forum by name got edited.

And yet, there are lots of links to other websites & forums scattered throughout the many posts here.
To my mind such links are highly beneficial because they add value to this site as an important reference point

If I recall correctly the site owner said he could delete anything he chose or words to that effect.
And now I can't find that thread or that user anywhere so I've no idea how that developed.

I can't recall their name ... sorry.
Deleted? Banned?

So what are the rules please

I thought it was a valid question & I genuinely wanted to know the answer though I accept I was being disingenuous in part of my post.

The post was up for about an hour. I've no idea if it had any replies.
When I went to check just now, the thread had been deleted.
Also, as I think you can guess, my new user ID has been blocked!

I've contacted the webmaster.
I look forward to their reply but somehow doubt I will get one

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Unless your IP address changed from previous posts, they can tell which IP address the post was made from.

You'll need an anonymous VPN, to "hide" your originating IP Address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom