Update New Record In junction table with VBA (without subform) (1 Viewer)

Deepak.Doddagoudar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:44
I have many to many relationship between tblMachine, tblMachineSystem,tblMachineSubSystem and tblComponents. There three junction table between them. I have a form with four listboxes for each table. When i click a button under the first listbox (listMachine) it gives me the items in the second listbox (listMachineSystem) and it continues till listComponents.
I also have a text box where in i type new machine name and when i click a button the tblMachine is updated with new machine.
My requirement is the New machine created must also populate the first junction table (between tblmachine & tblMachineSystem) with the new machine ID and existing Machine System ID.
MachineID MachineSystemID
1 2
1 2
2 1
2 2
From the above description the first two rows is created manually. Now I want to assign the ID 2 for New Machine and link it to the old ID of Machine System.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 16:44
Why are the 2 rows have same machine and sysmachineid?

Deepak.Doddagoudar

Registered User.
Local time
I am sorry I made a mistake, here its actually
1 1
1 2
2 1
2 2

arnelgp

Local time
Still dont follow as to why 2 same machine id.

Deepak.Doddagoudar

Registered User.
Local time
Thats because in the beginning I am assigning one machine to two machine systems (1,1) and (1,2). And then I am creating a new machine, giving it an autonumbered ID 2 in the tblMachine and then assigning the previously available MachineSystem ID's, hence (2,1) and (2,2), in the Junction table.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:44
Deepak,

I am a student doing my masters and right now i am carrying out a project in MS Access
Can you post the requirements for this project?

Can you step back and tell us in simple, plain English what you are trying to accomplish/automate?
No tables , junction or listbox ---just plain English.
Tell us about machines, machine systems and subsystems and components.
Perhaps an example that puts all these "things" into some business context would clarify the requirement.

Good luck with your project and studies.

Deepak.Doddagoudar

Registered User.
Local time
You see from the attachment. There is this tree (blue) that was already existing in the excel. I have put this in the database. Initially you will feel that it is one-to-many relationship but the requirement is, to a newly created machine (black circle) you add some or add all the machine, machine system and components.
Now it is many-to-many.
Its like a lego where in you build new combination but by changing the base only. The base in my case is the Machine

Attachments

• Tree.PNG
    Tree.PNG
    21.7 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

arnelgp

Local time
you should have an Insert Query just like this.
remember to replace "junctionTable" with correct name of your
junction table:

INSERT INTO junctionTable ( MachineID, MachineSystemID )
SELECT (T1.MachineID)+1 AS Expr1, T1.MachineSystemID
FROM junctionTable AS T1
WHERE (((T1.MachineID) In (SELECT Max(t2.MachineID) FROM junctionTable AS t2)));

Deepak.Doddagoudar

Registered User.
Local time
In the form i have created a text box with a button to populate the new machine into tblMachine and Junction Table. The new machine created is populating the tblMachine but not Junction table

Attachments

• code.PNG
    code.PNG
    22.5 KB · Views: 136

Deepak.Doddagoudar

Registered User.
Local time
When you mentioned "SELECT (T1.MachineID)+1 AS Expr1", what is 1 AS Expr1? I beg your pardon if this is a silly question.:(

arnelgp

Local time
Its adding 1 to the value of machine id. I just followed your first sample but you can remove it to get the correct value you need to insert in the junction table.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:44
I posted a sample m-m database for you in a different thread. In it you see that the subform is bound to the junction table and includes a combo that allows you to pick the FK from the right-side table.

arnelgp

Local time
Remove the +1 on the insert sql that i gave you.
Replace the strSql on your code with the insert query.
Execute the insert query on your code:

strSql= "the isert sql i gave (+1 removed)"
currentdb.execute strsql

Deepak.Doddagoudar

Registered User.
Local time
I did as you told but slightly changed the code. I am trying to use the Dmax to retrieve the last added record. Is this approach right? I seem to be a bit lost here.
What ever text i am adding in the text box to add new machine i am getting an error saying "the changes would create duplicate values" but is still updating the tblMachine and highlighting "tblMachine.update" in the code. I have attached the code for you.

Attachments

• code2.PNG
    code2.PNG
    24.9 KB · Views: 104

arnelgp

Local time
Its better u upload a sample db so we can understand it better.

Deepak.Doddagoudar

Registered User.
Local time
I have attached the database. The requirement is from "Create New Machine" Form if you create a New Machine (top right), say "Machine B" and click on "Add Machine" button, this new record must populate the tblMachine (which is happening right now) but this same "Machine B" ID must also populate the JunctionTableOne and become the father of the existing children (Machine System A & Machine System B).

Attachments

• DB.accdb
    1.6 MB · Views: 77

arnelgp

Local time
Here take a look

Attachments

• DB.zip
    58.4 KB · Views: 90

Deepak.Doddagoudar

Registered User.
Local time
Now the next part is trickier. What if I wanted to add new Machine System, say " Machine System C" under the newly added "Machine B".
I have attached your updated database with an extra text box " Add new machine system". This text box is as per my one-to-many relationship (image attached) where in I entered the new machine system and entered the parent Machine ID.
How do i do it for the current many-to-many?

Attachments

• DB11.accdb
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 100

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom