Data entered by specific user only visible on his PC. (1 Viewer)

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:28
Hi Good day! It's me again running into another problem. When the database is opened on other computers, This specific data a specific person has entered cannot be seen. I have tested three different computers. But when I tried to open the database on this person's computer, I was able to see the data he entered. Is there something like a security setting on this person's data or PC that is not letting other PCs view the information this person entered? Thanks in advance!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 14:28
Where is the data stored? FE or BE ?

What does the data relate to?

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Where is the data stored? FE or BE ?

What does the data relate to?

Data is stored BE. Can you elaborate more on what does the data relate to? Thanks

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well you have not given much away?

The data could be linked to a particular user?. so another user would not see it.?

Without some explanation of how it is store/viewed, it is like asking 'how long should my string be':)

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Well you have not given much away?

The data could be linked to a particular user?. so another user would not see it.?

Without some explanation of how it is store/viewed, it is like asking 'how long should my string be':)

I have this BE and users are entering data on it through the FE. The FE is just sending/saving that info on the BE on the user's button click. That is basically just it. IT is only this particular user's records that are not visible when I access the BE on other computers. I view the BE as just the tables.

How is it linked though? How to remove it?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Is his FE linked to the same BE.?
Is it only a small set of data that is not available, or all of his data?

Are we talking about a accde or accdb FE ?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:28
I have this BE and users are entering data on it through the FE. The FE is just sending/saving that info on the BE on the user's button click. That is basically just it. IT is only this particular user's records that are not visible when I access the BE on other computers. I view the BE as just the tables.

How is it linked though? How to remove it?
Hi. Pardon me for jumping in, but can this particular user see everybody else's "new" data? So, just as a test, try entering some new test data on your end and ask this user if they can see it.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
When you say 'access the BE', are you doing that through another FE or direct on the BE?

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:28
@ Macbear
I suggest you go to the Linked Table Manager on both PCs and check that the linked BE tables are the same.

If using mapped drives on a network, check that the mapped drives are the same source.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If this is a version after Ac2007, user-level security has been removed so there is no way that would be the culprit. That means that there is something about the way you are storing the record such that when you try to retrieve it, it is being filtered out.

In no particular order:

1. When the user stores data, is there a record of who stored it?
1.a. IF the answer to 1 is YES then does the retrieval method (query or form's .RecordSource) CARE who stored it?

2. When you say that the other users cannot see what was stored, is that "EVER" or merely until the unusual user exits the app?
2.a. IF the answer to 2 is "Visible after exit" then does your data storage include use of transactions?

3. When the person stores data, can the same person exit the app, then re-open it and see what was just entered? (Even though others cannot.)

4. Just for clarity, remind us what version of Access you are using. That question applies to be the FE and BE files separately, since they COULD theoretically be created and maintained by different versions of Access.

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Is his FE linked to the same BE.?
Is it only a small set of data that is not available, or all of his data?

Are we talking about a accde or accdb FE ?

Yes, FE is linked to the same BE
Only his data entered on 12/9 is available.
FE is accde
Thanks!

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Pardon me for jumping in, but can this particular user see everybody else's "new" data? So, just as a test, try entering some new test data on your end and ask this user if they can see it.

Yes, he can see everyone's newly entered data on his end as well. This is the exact same DB that I was looking at on three other PC and on his PC. the three other PC cant see his data, but on his PC the data is available ='c

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
When you say 'access the BE', are you doing that through another FE or direct on the BE?

I tried directly on the BE, I tried this on 3 other PCs and on his PC. Same BE.:banghead:

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 09:28
Are you using a query to look at the data? If so what is the query? My guess it has to do with how they entered. Like they hit the "Archive" field to true and the query to view is "where Archive = False".

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:28
Yes, he can see everyone's newly entered data on his end as well. This is the exact same DB that I was looking at on three other PC and on his PC. the three other PC cant see his data, but on his PC the data is available ='c

That is very curious; but unfortunately, it would be hard to guess what's causing the problem without being able to see it in action.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Occasionally there is some confusion about front-end and back-end databases. The correct way to set up the front and back-end arrangement is to have the back-end on the server and an individual front end "For Every User" on their own PC... The confusion arises where some people create a SINGLE front-end dB and a SINGLE back-end database and then share that SINGLE front-end database with many users. This is not the correct way to do it, and can cause issues.

Can you confirm that every user has their own copy of the front end database?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Mackbear, please take a look at my post #10 as I have not seen answers to those questions in the other parts of this thread.

Those questions are focused towards common reasons why someone who doesn't use the old User Level Security feature might have different data visibility for different people.

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
Occasionally there is some confusion about front-end and back-end databases. The correct way to set up the front and back-end arrangement is to have the back-end on the server and an individual front end "For Every User" on their own PC... The confusion arises where some people create a SINGLE front-end dB and a SINGLE back-end database and then share that SINGLE front-end database with many users. This is not the correct way to do it, and can cause issues.

Can you confirm that every user has their own copy of the front end database?

Yes every user has the front end copy and I tested the front end copy on his PC myself:confused::confused:

Mackbear

Registered User.
Local time
If this is a version after Ac2007, user-level security has been removed so there is no way that would be the culprit. That means that there is something about the way you are storing the record such that when you try to retrieve it, it is being filtered out.

In no particular order:

1. When the user stores data, is there a record of who stored it?
1.a. IF the answer to 1 is YES then does the retrieval method (query or form's .RecordSource) CARE who stored it?
Yes, one of the field is their environ username. It is important who stored the data

2. When you say that the other users cannot see what was stored, is that "EVER" or merely until the unusual user exits the app?
Even after the user exits the app, other PCs still cannot see his data.

2.a. IF the answer to 2 is "Visible after exit" then does your data storage include use of transactions?

3. When the person stores data, can the same person exit the app, then re-open it and see what was just entered? (Even though others cannot.)
Yes

4. Just for clarity, remind us what version of Access you are using. That question applies to be the FE and BE files separately, since they COULD theoretically be created and maintained by different versions of Access.
MS Access Office 365 MSO 16.0.11328.20478 64 Bit
I was not able to check the version of the specific user, will check on it later.

Thank you for looking into it!
:eek:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Just in passing, is it possible that user has somehow converted the linked network tables to local tables in their FE? It would certainly explain the behaviour described.

As an aside, and excuse my ignorance, but is your signoff (='c) meant as an emoticon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom