Do we need moderators? (1 Viewer)

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:36
This site does not have any moderators except me! Do you think we need some? If so, why and what will the benefits be?

Thanks,

Jon

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
Jon,

Yes we do need moderators!

The reason is to keep people out like that person you had
to toss a few weeks ago.

Wayne

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Today, 00:36
I've got to say that of all of the forums I frequent that this one has the fewest problems between users of them all. It would still fall to you as to whether someone wasn't welcome on the board anymore and there is the "Report this post to the moderator" button if there is a problem.

The only reason I could see for mods is that you feel the need to look at as many posts as you can to ensure that the purpose of the board is being achieved and you are not able to do that so you task others with that responsibilty. I don't feel that the posts are leaning to an out-of-control nature and therefore don't justify the mods unless you need the help for what you want to accomplish.

Autoeng

Last edited:

border20

Registered User.
Local time
I agree with Autoeng, I dont durrently see a need for other moderators

raskew

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 23:36
Jon-

Think it may boil down to:

Do you want your forum to resemble a newsgroup (e.g., Goggle)
where there's a no-holds-barred, Wild West, approach?

In days gone by, you've whacked me (off-line) numerous times for
being rude, crude and highly abusive towards certain folks whom I
believe muck up the forums, i.e. they don't do any homework
whatsoever and seem to believe that the folks who contribute to
forums are their personal help file.

What you've done as a moderator is probably a very good thing
since you've managed to keep the tone reasonably civil. You
have consistently demonstrated a certain knack for placating the
occasional hothead with something like: "I understand where you're
coming from but perhaps you could rephrase the statement 'dirt-bag,
slimy, leech' [I never went that far (I hope)] with '...perhaps it would
be wise to check the Help file." Who can argue with that?

Don't think that there's one simple answer. Other moderators
from different forums view their duties much differently. Two that
I could name take their role as the "Great Access God in the Sky".
(I'm persona non grata in both of these). One even went so far
as to transmit me a virus when I suggested that he wasn't
necessarily the great 'know-all, do-all' that he expected all of his
loyal subjects to believe in (ala Jim Jones).

Bottom line-I think you provide a valuable service and look
forward to you 'hanging in there'.

Best wishes,

Bob

Fornatian

Dim Person
Local time
Majority of the time democracy rules, thank god, and we(the hive), are self moderating. In my experience, rarely do you witness users using and abusing each other and that is usually curtailed by a retort by other users- power to the people!

Anyway, doesn't the 'report to the moderator' thing work?

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
Yesterday, 21:36
In a previous thread about having a FAQ of sorts, I mentioned that it might be good to have a few mods that have the ability to post sample DBs with associated keywords in a Read-Only forum so that users can do a search on the Sample DBs forum to get examples of questions that have been asked many times. Perhaps it will either allow the browser to ask a better question or get their answers before their question is asked.
It might also be useful when a thread needs to be closed because it has gotten off topic, or maybe moved to the correct forum to have an extra mod to do that kind of work.

As far as moderators like we see at other forums, I agree with Autoeng. The community here is better behaved than most. I was once banned from a forum by a mod and I have no idea why. When I queried to the reason, the head mod said, "I didn't do it, but it must have been for a good reason." Too many personalities can lead a forum into chaos.

If the load is too great, Jon, then I would say yes, bring maybe two on. See how it goes and re-evaluate. Otherwise, my first suggestion would be the only role I would see for mods here.

Last edited:

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
If you mean do we need a moderator at all, then yes we do as others have said.

If you mean do we need more moderators than just you, it's a question of your preference, and the work load.

If you mean do we need a different moderator than you, no I don't think so.

I'm happy with the status quo.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Local time
I like pdx_mans comments about moving threads. It gave me an idea. If we had some moderators, they could pick decent posts and place them in a faq forum. Maybe even some vba code that would be commonly used.

What do you think?

Ally

Registered User.
Local time
I think that's a great idea. Often when you do a search you can end up with a couple of hundred threads, most of which don't apply and can take forever to wade through. Not everyone uses titles that have any relation to what's in the thread so by searching by just titles you can miss out on some that may be of help. By having some FAQs with commonly used code could help prevent new posts which have been been previously answered.

Also, having some sample dbs for common questions would be really helpful if members were willing to share information in that way, which I'm sure they would be. Northwind etc, just doesn't answer all our questions!

Only1Abhi

World Filled With Love
Local time
Hi Jon.
This is my view.
I feel there should DEFIENTLY be more moderators.

When you are not around, there can make sure the forums are clean.

There will also be more mods to stop people who are just flooding, or students posting lazy homework.

This will undoubtly cut down on similar type of questions being posted time and time again.

So I feel there should DEFIENTLY be mods.
But u should choose them wisely, some1 who you think will NOT abandon access-programmers.co.uk within say 2-3 months.

Some who has shown maturity in their posts.

Some who will NOT get fustrated easily.

Some who seems to be keen and interested in being a part of access-programmer.

You may want to include personal friends/family of your as mods (because you know what they are like).

My personal recommendations go to:

Mile-O-Phile
The_Doc_Man
Pat Hartman

Good Luck!

Best Regards,
Abhi
:)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Mile? I wouldn't go that far. :D (I'm kidding Mile)

But seriously, I agree with Autoeng. Too many "moderators" in other forums. (Woody's Lounge for one) take advantage of their position and power. I have seen too much chaos from this and wouldn't recommend it unless the workload is too much for you to handle alone, as was asked before. If this is the case, then make one or two moderators that have been around much longer than Mile or me, who will be here much longer. Maybe people who have been very helpful in the forum as well. I would definitely suggest

Pat Hartman
WayneRyan
The_Doc_Man
Jack Cowley

or sadly even Rich. :D (I'm just kidding Rich)

as they have all been around a long time and will probably be around for a long time to come.

Regards,

Vassago

Last edited:

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Lordy, not me! :eek: :confused: :eek:

Best thing would be to get someone from the major time zones - and I'd say the major demographics of the site were UK, US, and Kangarooland - so that way there is cover for each area.

Of course, just to delete/concatenate/move multiple posts.

Last edited:

lynsey2

Registered User.
Local time
Why change the way the site works if it works well as it is?
I think the site works great and we don't really have any problems, mind you, some FAQs with commonly used code could help prevent new posts which would help when doing a search... you wouldnt get so many results.
Having some sample dbs for common questions would be really helpful, theres no better way to learn!

R

Rich

"Sorry" for the suggestion or the reluctance to suggest?
Either way I'm not interested in the concept of additional moderators.

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
That's our Rich, short and to the point.

Autoeng

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Well, judging by your 5000+ posts, you've got lots of it at work. Do you even do any actual work?

M

mission2java_78

I can say this in one word:

"Charlotte"

If you knew her you'd know that having moderators is a horrible idea. BTW, she is a moderator who moderates woody's lounge (horrible forum IMHO). She is very cocky, arrogant, rude, insecure, and very demanding in her answers. She pretty much knocked me once over something very stupid and actually got someone known as the "Big - Ol Cheese" (boy these people are lonely)..to kick me out of that forum. Thank God. If anyone from Woodys is reading...this place is soo much better :). Learn from your mistakes.

My point is Mods make forums dull.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom