auto updating the front end (1 Viewer)

Jon123

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:45
I want to beable to detect what version a user is running and if they are not using the latest version I want to upgrade their front end. I have created a Table callled Version and have 1 field in that table. Now on the opening cover form I have a field labeled version. I have code to check the version"s if not the same then I can error out and close the database. But I want to run a .bat file that will upgrade the program. Does anyone know how to do this since I need to close the dbase and then have the code run.

Thanks for helping

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:45
I actually go about this a little differently. I have my users point to a "utility" mde rather than the actual front end. The utility mde checks the version on the PC against the version on the server. If different, it copies the version from the server to the client. Then, either way, it starts up the actual front end and closes itself. I've actually redone it in VB and compiled it as an exe now, but even as an mde it was quick enough that the users didn't realize that they hadn't opened the actual front end in the first place.

Jon123

Registered User.
Local time
pbaldy could you please provide a little more detail on how to do this using the mde format?

Thanks for replaying

jon

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The actual front end contains a local table for versions. Sounds like you already have that. Utility contains links to this table in both server and local versions. Check max value in each against each other, copy as needed using FileCopy, start local version using Shell, DoCmd.Quit to stop the utility.

Jon123

Registered User.
Local time
Ok lets see if I understand you. I running a utility dbase that will
update the Front end if needed. If the FE does not require updating then it will just open the current dbase. That is how I can delete the old FE and copy a new FE because the FE it not opened yet. Am I close?

Jon

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You have it, and you don't really need to delete the old FE. FileCopy will overwrite it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom