Weird field name behavior (1 Viewer)

Cabong

Local time
Today, 16:56
Hi all,

I use to have a field named RDI_ID, later on I decided to change the name to RDI to make things easier.

I have several macros pulling recordsets, but they stopped working, even though I have changed that field name
to RDI in the macro as well.

Curiously, they do work when I change it back to the old name, being RDI_ID. I have been looking at that field
propriety and it is named RDI. Did I miss a change somewhere?

That table has no relationship whatsoever.

Help plzz.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:56
I don't know whether this applies in your case, however I have noticed in the past that sometimes my access database would run perfectly well until I changed something like a field name. And then it would crash.

Basically, as I understand it, Access is very good at covering over little mistakes in the code. It seems to have the ability to work even with minor defects in the code. I think this ability comes from the way access saves changes, it saves changes sort of in layers, one layer of changes over another. Somehow the previous layer can still provide information to the subsequent layers. The effect is you have a particular piece of code that works when it shouldn't. You then make a change which brings this problem to accesses attention and so it crashes. This problem was in access 97, I don't see it much in later versions, which version are you using?

The remedy is too frequently decompile your database. Before you do this makes a backup copies! As once you have decompiled it, it may not work.

I think on earlier versions of access, that the decompile switch was an undocumented command so you may get strange results.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:56
If you have A2K or newer, Access contains a feature called name auto correct. This is both a blessing and a curse. It propagates some name changes but not all of them. It is best to turn it off and leave it that way unless you expressly want to enable the feature because you are changing some field name and you want Access to help you. I recommend that you go to the MSDN library site and download the article on this feature. It will help you understand how it works and how it can cause trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom