32 bit to 64 bit?

Pete490h

Local time
Today, 10:50
Just wondering if this is possible…..

We currently have Access 2010 database and runtimes installed as 32 bit but are upgrading to access 2021 on all PC’s

Is it possible to install as 64 bit and if so, will our database still work

If you don't use API functions - it will work properly at once.
Very optimistic.
It also must not use any 32bit-only external components, such as referenced libraries, drivers, or providers.

Also assumes you are using .accdb’s. If .accde you will need to make a new 64bit .accde from the original .accdb

Upgrading to Access 2021 doesn't mean upgrading to 64-bit. In fact, unless you have a specific need in Excel to use the 64-bit version, you should upgrade to 2021/32-bit. I did - from Ac2010 - and it works like a champ. The upgrade, from a compilation viewpoint, was a piece of cake. The only thing that DOES happen is that the new version of Access will balk at every older DB because you will possibly have to re-do the trust settings for Trusted Locations and to one-time enable the code for each DB.

Upgrading to Access 2021 doesn't mean upgrading to 64-bit. In fact, unless you have a specific need in Excel to use the 64-bit version, you should upgrade to 2021/32-bit. I did - from Ac2010 - and it works like a champ. The upgrade, from a compilation viewpoint, was a piece of cake. The only thing that DOES happen is that the new version of Access will balk at every older DB because you will possibly have to re-do the trust settings for Trusted Locations and to one-time enable the code for each DB.
Yes I’ve installed as 32 bit on my test system at home and like you said, upgrade was ‘a piece of cake’, but before I install on my works environment, just wanted to check…..
Think it’s going to be safer to leave as is thanks

Think it’s going to be safer to leave as is thanks

First, you are welcome. Second, I agree that it will be safer as-is rather than facing the 64-bit upgrade challenge. Third, the 64-bit versions of Excel and Word allow for bigger files, but the only thing we can see that Access got out of the deal is slightly better handling of its workspace. The databases created by 64-bit Access still have the 2 GB size limit. There are a FEW cases where people actually needed the larger address space for Excel worksheets (million-row worksheets? Yow!) but 32-bit Excel's 65K row limit doesn't hurt most people. Therefore, there is a path to bigger worksheets if there is a need - but if there is no need, the next question is "Why bother?"

First, you are welcome. Second, I agree that it will be safer as-is rather than facing the 64-bit upgrade challenge. Third, the 64-bit versions of Excel and Word allow for bigger files, but the only thing we can see that Access got out of the deal is slightly better handling of its workspace. The databases created by 64-bit Access still have the 2 GB size limit. There are a FEW cases where people actually needed the larger address space for Excel worksheets (million-row worksheets? Yow!) but 32-bit Excel's 65K row limit doesn't hurt most people. Therefore, there is a path to bigger worksheets if there is a need - but if there is no need, the next question is "Why bother?"
I didn't know that 32 bit Excel still retained the ~65K row limit in the latest versions.

Excel specifications seems to indicate that the same row limit applies across 32 bit and 64 bit. Am I reading this page wrong?

If you look at the fine print under that article's title, it goes back to 2016 AND doesn't say whether that was 32-bit or 64-bit. However, it appears that my Excel information was a bit dated. I never used Excel at home for anything bigger than organizing a list of people I had contacted about a specific project, which rarely exceeded 20. The last time I actually used Excel for work was 40+ steps in a complex U.S. Navy action checklist from the 1990s, during which time the older spreadsheet model was still in effect. I'm thinking that the transition from 2003 to 2007 may have introduced the newer model of Excel just like we got the newer model of Access at the same time.

I didn't know that 32 bit Excel still retained the ~65K row limit in the latest versions.

Excel specifications seems to indicate that the same row limit applies across 32 bit and 64 bit. Am I reading this page wrong?
You are right. The 65K row limit is for XLS files not for XLSX files.

The same maximum row size applies in both bitnesses in Excel and has done since version 2007. As Xevi said, it depends solely on the file format.
The benefit of 64-bit in both Excel and Access is improved performance with more ‘demanding‘ files. Whilst in many cases the difference is negligible, there are situations where it can be very beneficial

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom