Access 2013 deployment software

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:28
I have asked a similar question before and have received useful but non-specific answer.

I have Access 2013
1) .accde (Front end)
2) .accdb (Back end)

and would like to use deployment software to install this application with the Access 2013 Runtime, that was released in July 2013.

I have used Sagekey for many years and I am happy with the software. The only problem is that Sagekey has not yet released their 2013 deployment software and some clients cannot wait.

Can anyone suggest specific deployment software, WITH specific script etc which will handle this deployment?

John

John,

First, thanks for all you do. I have sat under your teaching in Dallas at a .NET event and met you then. I follow you on your website. I am in Fort Worth. Are you still in Austin?

I thought I'd jump in here and say that I built, and used to deploy, an .msi file wrapper for my install that did the following:
1. Created folders on client machine like this c:\clientname\software\access rt, sharepoint designer, application installer, a fingerprint reader utility I wrote, and the driver files folder for the hardware to read fingerprints.
2. I pushed out all the required files packaged in the .msi .cab files and when it completed I ran a .cmd script that did all the installs and placed an installed.txt flag file for checking and not running again if user rebooted. set 3. I had included a Trusted Locations registry file in my .msi in the application installer folder to make a registry setting needed for Access 2013 app location as a Trusted Location.

The .msi file was set in a Group Policy Object to so a Software Install on each computer at Startup and the cmd file was set to run as a Startup Script in that same GPO. The registry settings were also set in that Group Policy Object to be applied at user Login in User settings. The reason the TrustedLocations.reg file was in the application folder was that each user would need to have those settings made and the environment had single computer with multiple users on them.

I found the experience of using the WiX tools to build the .msi wrapper I needed challenging but doable and in some ways even easy. The Wix file itself is complex with GUIDs for everything and long in my case but I found an Addin to Visual Studio (or maybe just the capability with in Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition.

I hope this might be as helpful in this issue for you as you have been for a number of years for me. Thanks again.

First, thanks for all you do. I have sat under your teaching in Dallas at a .NET event and met you then.

Due to a bug in the forum software this message was "unapproved" (hidden) for some considerable time. I have just approved it. I hope no one has been inconvenience too much! The new forum software no longer has this bug, so this problem should not reoccur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom