Access 97 to 2010: "The current user account doesn't have permission to convert or en

asather

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:36
Access 97 to 2010: "The current user account doesn't have permission to convert or en

Hi everyone! Long time, no post.

I've got an Access database that my workplace uses to track basic information about visitors. The database was likely built in Access 95 and is being regularly used in Access 97.

I'm trying to get everyone running on Access 2010, but I hit a roadblock early in: Apparently there are security settings on the '97 database that prevent anyone from opening it in Access 2010.

I receive the following message:

"The current user account doesn't have permission to convert or enable this database."

There are a bunch of suggestions, like "join the workgroup that defines the user accounts used to access the database", have "exclusive permissions" to open and run the database, etc.

I never got into security much with Access '97. I read that it was pretty flawed. In any case, I'm not sure what I can do in Access 97 to open this system up to Access 2010 users. Of course, I want to convert it to a newer format, but I can't do that from Access 97.

I've already found this article, but it only applies to Access 2002/2003 databases.

I can open the database in Access 97. In the "User and Group Permissions" dialog box there are two groups ("Admins" and "Users") and one user ("Admin").

I've attached a screenshot of the "User and Group Permissions" dialog box in Access 97 and a screenshot of the error in Access 2010.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

Attachments

• user-group-permissions.JPG
    user-group-permissions.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,075
  • access-10-error.jpg
    access-10-error.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 975
Re: Access 97 to 2010: "The current user account doesn't have permission to convert o

The database was likely built in Access 95

95 is a problem. The MDW is not totally compatable with later versions.

To Upgrade you need to create a new blank database, I would suggest 2003. Once done you can open the new Database using the current MDW.

With the 2003 opened you can import all objects from the original.

The 2003 Database should now open without Security and you can treat it in the same way as you would any other 2003 Database.

Re: Access 97 to 2010: "The current user account doesn't have permission to convert o

Hm. Maybe I'm wrong about the '95 part. It's not an MDW file. It's an MDB.

I think you were right in the first place. (According to your JEGs)

Can you go to Windows Explorer and click on the MDB and have it open with full Read Right capabilities.

I'll try when I get into work. Do you want me to do that with Access 97 or Access '10?

Use 2003 if you can but no later.

I receive the same error. Do you think my best chance is to import these objects into a new, Access 2010 database?

Create a new blank Database.

Use 2003 NOT 2010.

Import all of the objects into that.

If it won't let you Import let me know. You may need the MDW to open the 2003 File.

Make sure you TEST each Stage. Compact and Repair often and Back Up even more often.

Look forward to your results.

Last edited:

I think you were right in the first place. (According to your JEGs)

Can you go to Windows Explorer and click on the MDB and have it open with full Read Right capabilities.

You never did answer this question.

If you cant open then let me know the error message.

I'm not sure what you mean then. Using Windows XP/Access 2003 I can confirm that the permissions of the file and of its containing folder include me, with full read/write access (I'm in the Administrator group).

I've never heard of an option to open with full read/write privileges in the context menu of XP's Windows Explorer. Do you mean run as administrator?

I'm not sure what you mean then. Using Windows XP/Access 2003 I can confirm that the permissions of the file and of its containing folder include me, with full read/write access (I'm in the Administrator group).

I've never heard of an option to open with full read/write privileges in the context menu of XP's Windows Explorer. Do you mean run as administrator?

I simply wanted to know if you can go to windows explorer and open the Database. Then if you can open it, can you Read Records, Edit Records, Write Records etc.

The other way to open the Database is with a Shortcut. This shortcut most likely references an MDW File and Access.exe

The answer to this will confirm as to weather or not you have Access User Level Security. If you do then we need to get rid of it. Especially if it is Access 95 that the Security was written in.

Does this explain better. Sorry for not being clearer.

Rain: I just created user/permissions for a mdb I created... using 2010 in the mdb mode. I created my employees user names/permission... giving me full rights to everything. Everytime I log in is automatically logs in as admin (similar to asaathers attached .jpg) I can't do anything! The old shift/open or f11 isn't even working. You mentioned to him that "we need to get rid of it" How do I undo this or get rid of the security levels... I obviously need to read more up on 2010 permissions before I use that wizard again. It won't let me import all files into new .mdb or .accdb. The backup file went back to far.... Microssoft suggests to do a save as..but can't I don't have permission to my own database. Very frustrating!

I think at times we are talking at cross purposes.

The permissions you are talking (I think) are to do with your operating system, Windows 7. I am talking permissions to do with Access, which is totally different.

Can you zip and post your Access MDB file here. Might be the only way to get to the bottom.

It is Sunday AM. Don't expect a reply in a hurry.

Last edited:

Sorry for the delay - It was the administration log in for vista. Terrible thing they have set up - but got it done and I was able to get in and finish up my work. Think I'll leave it unsecured through testing! Thanks again!

Hi dear
i am new to this thread and new to access too..can you help me in converting one access mdb file..i think its made in access 97..and i am not able to open it in 2007-2010
i jave just installed access 97..but i am getting same msg again the current user account dosent have permission etc etc..
what should i do now..?..
do you want me to send you file in zip format..file size is 8mb
pls reply me asap
thnx n rgds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom