Adding new info (1 Viewer)

NGilbert

Local time
Today, 19:00
I'm sorry, it still isn't working, I have tried everything.

Salutation appears in the table in normal view and design view. It is also in the list of fields when I look at the relationships.

The problem is, in the form - every other field from the table is listed but the new field i have added; salutation, does not appear in the field list, or the control source drop down list.

The form is simply not recognising that a new field has been added, even though it is blatantly there in the table and every other aspect of the database! :confused:
Nat

PREVIOUS MESSAGES: (I think my old message/reply was closed, I can only get to my PC twice a week usually).

I have added a new column in my table (Salutation), but in my form, after adding a text box to enter in this information, 'Salutation' it is not listed in the field list and I therefore cannot operate it. Any thoughts on how to overcome this?
Many thanks.

expublish

Is your form based directly on the table or on a query based on the table. If it based on a query make sure you have updated the query with the extra field.

If it is based directly on the table then, I know this sounds trivial, check that the record source of the form is correct. Also try adding the field without using the wizard (the magic wand should not be pressed) and in the control source use the drop down menu. I have just tried this on a test DB and it works.
Post back with any problems.
Scott.

NGilbert

The form is based on the table alone. To add the new column I simply went in to the table and 'added column'.

I have tried adding a text box with and without the wizard in the form, but either way, when I go in to Control Source - the new column 'Salutation' is not appearing on the drop down list - it is listed everywhere else that I can see but is just not corresponding to the form?
How do I check 'record source' as you suggested?
Thanks, I am a complete novice - bear with me!

David R

Two options:
Bring up the Field list on your form while in Design View. It looks like a 'page' button on the toolbar, or it's under View. At the very bottom (assuming you added this field to the end of your table) of the list is your new field. Click and drag it onto your form to add the new field.
Alternatively, try adding a new blank text box as expublish mentioned. Bring up the Toolbox and click on Text box, then click on your form. A new field will come up, named some nonsense like "Text76". That is part of why I don't like this method when I can avoid it. Now if you double-click on this field, or right click and select Properties, you will get the Properties screen for that field. Under the data tab the first option is Control Source. You can drop-down that list and select Salutation the same way.

Post back if you're still having problems.

cogent1

Registered User.
Local time
Is your form based on the table, on a query, or on an SQL statement?

To find out, go to the form's design view and look at the RecordSource Property

Post this information when you find out
:rolleyes: OK, I see it's the table. So what happens if yoiu try to raise a query using all the fields from the table. Does the field appear in the results?:?

If it appears in the query, what if you make the query the recordsource for the form?

Last edited:

NGilbert

Local time
It says 'SELECT DISTINCT ROW'.
It should be set up on the table so I will select this and see if it works!

cogent1

Registered User.
Local time
SELECT DISTINCTROW is the beginning of an SQL statement. There's probably a lot more than that if you scroll...

NGilbert

Local time
No - it didn't work because my form is based on two tables, one with the contact details and one with donation reports.

NGilbert

Local time
Yes, it's listing all the fields and which table they are based on eg [donor contact details] [name]

NGilbert

Local time
I've done it. I just typed it in to the Record Source list and it's come up/

Thanks for your help, very much appreciated - thanks for bearing with me.

Nat

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom