Adobe No Longer Support MS Access PDF Exports (1 Viewer)

TheSearcher

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:23
I just read in this article that Adobe no longer support MS Access pdf exports. I have many Access interfaces from which I export reports as PDFs using the following code:

Code:
DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, "r_Note", acFormatPDF, strFolder & "\" & OutputFileName, False, , , acExportQualityPrint

I never had a problem until today. Some of the exports are failing to show a shared image in the msysresources table. The rest of the report exports fine. It's just the image that sometimes doesn't show up. I'm assuming this has to do with the compatibility issue. Has anyone run into this problem? If so, did you find a workaround?
Many thanks in advance!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 00:23
Just checked using A365 version 2407
Exporting a report to PDF including shared images from the image gallery still works using code or from the Print Preview ribbon.

The functionality is built into Access - AFAIAA, Acrobat is not used directly. In fact I no longer have Acrobat installed on my workstation

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:23
I just read in this article that Adobe no longer support MS Access pdf exports. I have many Access interfaces from which I export reports as PDFs using the following code:
The term "no longer" is not accurate. Microsoft Access was *never* supported by the Adobe plug-in that the linked text is about. - The whole text is not relevant for Microsoft Access.

The problem with the images not showing up in your PDF export must have another cause.
I had similar issues in the past. They were related to certain images causing excessive memory usage and internal out-of-memory issues during PDF export. Downscaling the images to a reasonable resolution resolved the issue for me.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 00:23
According to another Adobe article, older versions of Acrobat did provide support for certain older versions of Access.
However, looking at the details, that was before export to PDF was built into Access as part of an update in Office 2007.
Since then, external support hasn't been needed as it is built-in to Access

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 08:23
Microsoft Office (specially Access) doesn't use Adobe to create pdf documents. Microsoft never have been dependent to adobe. It uses its own driver (PDF/XPS).
In Excel you can go to file- Export. There's a button to print as PDF. This one works without Adobe being installed.
Access uses the same driver. In Windows 10 & 11, you can go to settings - Devices. There you can find a printer under the name of : Microsoft XPS Document writer.

We had a similar problem with our reports exported as PDF. But reinstalling the driver solved the problem.

Last edited:

TheSearcher

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you everyone for your input. Much appreciated.
The problem with the images not showing up in your PDF export must have another cause.
I had similar issues in the past. They were related to certain images causing excessive memory usage and internal out-of-memory issues during PDF export. Downscaling the images to a reasonable resolution resolved the issue for me.
Why would this happen in only one of about 20 cases. It's so intermittent. Could it have to do with a memory issue on the individual person's computer? We have a client-server environment where Access (and everything else) is being served to the user from a remote server. Where would the memory issue be?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:23
Are you working with a split database with a served back-end and copies of the front-end local to each workstation?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:23
Then it is possible that it IS a transient memory condition on the person's computer having to do with how much else is open at the time. The catch is that you would like to know if someone got an error message when they tried to upload the image. And if so, which error?

TheSearcher

Registered User.
Local time
I'm not hearing of any error messages - but I remoted into the user's machine and saw that something was definitely hogging memory. I'll look more deeply into this on Friday. Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom