Are we allowed to search jobs here? (2 Viewers)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 11:57
Hi All,
Looking for Job. Not clear about searching jobs are allowed here or not. Please confirm.
With Hope,
Prabhakaran

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:27
We don't advertise jobs - but if you and some other person use profile messages between each other to keep it all private, we'll never notice it.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 11:57
Never knew this feature before. Started using it. Thanks for suggesting.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Yesterday, 23:27
But No one shows interest :cry:
Most of the participants here are probably looking for work themselves, actually. After all it's a forum in which working developers, or new Access users, ask and answer questions about their work.

If you want to look for jobs, I imagine there are sites out there which are specifically set up to facilitate that.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:27
But No one shows interest :cry:

Every now and then someone comes looking for a remote-work support person, but the truth is that this isn't primarily a jobs site. It is a tech site. It might be disappointing , but that is what this site is all about - helping people solve their technical problems. The last time we had an on-line solicitation (looking for work or workers) was several months ago and before that was a couple of years ago. Therefore, while I empathize with your desire to find work, I can offer no suggestions related to this site. As I am unfamiliar with your area, I can't even suggest a job-oriented site that serves your area.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 02:27
After all it's a forum in which working developers, or new Access users, ask and answer questions about their work.
I would say few members of this forum are real "Developers", and most are hobbyist, users/super users like me. So most of these people are not looking to hire someone but build it themselves. Most of people seem to building for themselves, friend, church group, book club, kid's soccer league, dart league, etc. I do not see many people working to build something that big for a business that needs a developer. Rarely.

This article does a great job describing that Access audience and thus the popularity
The Access audience is a special crowd that’s rarely targeted these days: technical people who aren’t serious coders. They may know their way around an Office macro, but they don’t have a formal programming background. Not so long ago, we called this kind of a person a “power user.”

Power users can be a dangerous group to help. With a little knowledge, you can make a very powerful weapon for shooting yourself in the foot. But there is a serious untapped potential here. Give a technical person a way to solve their problems that doesn’t involve writing pages of code, and they can make a difference — automating small tasks, managing their own islands of data, and helping to keep their local environment organized and effective.

Today, there remains a hunger for codeless or code-light tools. Motivated people want to do their jobs without paying expensive professionals for every semicolon. But so far the only offerings we’ve given them are a VBA macro language from a generation ago and pricey tools like PowerApps that only work if your business signs up for a stack of Microsoft cloud products.

2. True power is empowering someone else​

If there’s one secret to Access’s success, it’s this: Access succeeded because it made people feel powerful.
So I just think this is the opposite of a place where people are coming for hiring someone. They are coming to "feel more powerful" themselves.

Now on the flip-side, I have seen those posts like
"I am a pediatrician/ veterinarian / accountant / entrepreneur / (insert important busy person here) etc and have spent many hours building this for my small buisiness."
Those I have to question if they understand the value of time, and wonder why not hire someone. But I think it is the same for these people too. Its that sense of building and accomplishing things.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 23:27
I would say few members of this forum are real "Developers", and most are hobbyist, users/super users like me. So most of these people are not looking to hire someone but build it themselves. Most of people seem to building for themselves, friend, church group, book club, kid's soccer league, dart league, etc. I do not see many people working to build something that big for a business that needs a developer. Rarely.

This article does a great job describing that Access audience and thus the popularity

So I just think this is the opposite of a place where people are coming for hiring someone. They are coming to "feel more powerful" themselves.

Now on the flip-side, I have seen those posts like
"I am a pediatrician/ veterinarian / accountant / entrepreneur / (insert important busy person here) etc and have spent many hours building this for my small buisiness."
Those I have to question if they understand the value of time, and wonder why not hire someone. But I think it is the same for these people too. Its that sense of building and accomplishing things.

First, MajP, you show unusual modesty in your self-imposed label of super user. I think most of us agree you can safely change your title to Developer now! Sheesh, if I call myself a Developer...LOL.

Second as to your last statement, I think there are many people out there who secretly admire "people in IT", and wish to learn it so bad they are willing to sacrifice their small business as a test case.

I once spent about 6 mo. doing paid weekly tutoring Access sessions with a Dentist. He just got curious and decided he wanted to start designing Databases to help out his business--but mostly I could see the enjoyment on his face. He'd always wanted to do this stuff! Turns out, it's more fun to design buttons for people to click than it is to rub yellow gook off strangers' teeth...(who knew?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom