Asked for a sign... (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 01:28
This is what our IT sent us today. I was looking for a reason to skive, I am taking this as a divine intervention - going to rack up some miles on my new toy.

Life is good - Azure sucks

1687956869198.png

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This is what our IT sent us today. I was looking for a reason to skive, I am taking this as a divine intervention - going to rack up some miles on my new toy.
That's as good a reason as any.
Translation: OK, but I don't like Teams, so I'll declare today a personal holiday.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Took her out until I got lost...kept making right turns until I figured out where I was. Put about 60mi/97km on her - why did I wait so long to start riding?!?!

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Took her out until I got lost...kept making right turns until I figured out where I was. Put about 60mi/97km on her - why did I wait so long to start riding?!?!
I had an answer before lunch then we lost power (and the answer).

I suggested you had been busy with chatGPT and google trying to disambiguate the messages from IT, and then you finally got a message that you could interpret and act on.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 22:28
That seems like a good conclusion NG.
I'm actually shocked at how good my current employer's VMare Horizon Client works. Basically zero issues since I started in Feb 2022. Best I've ever seen, but I think gradually companies are catching up to the increased remote work.

The old "we'll give you a VPN and you can map some drives, then wait all afternoon for a file to copy" days are kind of receding into the background.

In the midst of my typical array of cheap hardware which I've always been a fan of, I have an especially trashy piece of garbage that I admire: A blue HP laptop, with windows 8, which I swear to God I found just about between the couch cushions a year or two ago (ok, it was in an old laptop case, and I cannot for the life of me place it).

Even on this sucker, with some miniscule amount of RAM, I could install VMWare horizon and get to my work's VDI. And sure enough, once logged in to the vdi, everything worked approximately as good as usual!

But I'm like you about Teams, I take every opportunity to trash talk it. The learning curve to learn just exactly HOW to incorporate file sharing, channels, notifications, queues, projects is so long...by that time all you've done is finally learn all the limitations, and just in time to throw up your hands and wish you just had the basics an IM program and maybe a solid 365 suite.

Teams is an unnecessary solution to a non existent problems, but its name warms the heart of many an HR professional, and also non-technical managers of quasi-technical teams ! ... and that's why it sells.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I hate using Teams. For some reason, it always messes up my audio and I can't use GoToMeeting aftward without resetting my audio. Speaking of GTM, I've been using it for years and even though it was expensive, it did what I needed it to do. Lately, they've been making changes that cause my scheduled meetings to not work which is seriously embarrassing. If they notified me that they made changes and I needed to reinstall and check my setup, I would do it but they don't.

Today, I went looking and found Zoho. So, I'm going to try it with my meeting later today. Looks very promising and is very cheap at $1 per month. Who needs to use the limited free version at that price?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have only used Teams once -for a recent user group meeting. Doesn't seem as friendly as Zoom, but I have limited use and need so can't objectively rate them. Personal preference is Zoom and I'm sure I use only a fraction of its capabilities.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I have only used Teams once -for a recent user group meeting. Doesn't seem as friendly as Zoom, but I have limited use and need so can't objectively rate them. Personal preference is Zoom and I'm sure I use only a fraction of its capabilities.

I should clarify all my negative-Nancy stuff by saying that when I've used Teams for generic, basic purposes, such as sending an IM, or joining a conference meeting, everything is pretty fine. In some ways the interface is sort of nice looking, etc. The gallery/viewing options for a video call are definitely a fun toy (you can switch people's videos so it shows them all sitting in a fake conference room, all on the beach, etc. etc. I found out the hard way that if one person switches the view, it means everyone's view is switched! embarassing!)

Most of my negative opinion is centered around "the rest" of what Teams can do, which my former employer was really trying to push, hard.
It's too much to even remember or list - basically, if you can envision it, Teams will claim it can DO some version of whatever you are envisioning.
Create a "List" which is sort of Excel-ish, with an audience, notifications, a channel, and permissions? It can do that. Try to tie it in to a Sharepoint list or Flow automation package? It can sort of do that, mostly, in some cases, depending on your corporate 365 setup.

The list of things it claims it can do, or appears to be able to do at first, ls so lengthy as to appear impressive. But the list of caveats ends up being 3x longer, and tough to discover after putting 6 mo. into using it.

However, for operational groups with a superuser who can administer some of those features, without involving IT or requesting Software created, I can understand some of its appeal.

Overall, I felt it was a nightmare and led to a lot of the same problems of why "IT hates Access databases" - mostly in the category of random bits of stuff lying around everywhere and pretty hard to maintain, inventory and synch.

As a basic conference call, video meeting, or IM system, I was fine with it. But I found it no better than Skype for Business or Lync was.

Word to the wise: Anything is better than TRILLIAN, which my current employer uses. If you ever have the chance on that, vote NO. It's awful!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I hate using Teams. For some reason, it always messes up my audio and I can't use GoToMeeting aftward without resetting my audio. Speaking of GTM, I've been using it for years and even though it was expensive, it did what I needed it to do. Lately, they've been making changes that cause my scheduled meetings to not work which is seriously embarrassing. If they notified me that they made changes and I needed to reinstall and check my setup, I would do it but they don't.

Today, I went looking and found Zoho. So, I'm going to try it with my meeting later today. Looks very promising and is very cheap at $1 per month. Who needs to use the limited free version at that price?

Wow! I have been trying for some years, to finally SETTLE on one simple product that I can go back to on occasion when dealing with side-clients away from my FTE. Basic conferencing and screensharing being the requirements, with it being a "nice to have" on stuff like giving other people Control of screen, sending Files, or Recording.

I am always most worried about what's the level of inconvenience for the OTHER party. I want people to be able to join from a browser with the LEAST possible annoying or untrustworthy stuff - like "click here to install this exe" or this extension or that browser add on. But still have the most features once we're in the meeting.

May I ask which specific product you are enjoying? Their website is a bit overwhelming.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:28
All that discussion of Teams brings me back to the last year before I retired. It was a pre-COVID environment where working from home was still not quite but almost an act of Congress. For us, a team meeting required a meeting room - and somehow or another it was obligatory that the person who called the meeting would bring donuts... probably as a bribe since nobody wanted to sit through long-winded in-person meetings. All you folks who disparage Teams... if you can hold a meeting without actually traveling there, count your blessings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom