ASP & Access (1 Viewer)

ReAn

Dangerous Programmer...
Local time
Today, 07:30
Here's the background:

I've got a question, ive developed a split database here for a virtual tour project. It allows the vets here at the plant to sit down and enter in information on all the equipment in the plant (aka. populate my database).

To facilitate a multiple computer environment, each computer has novel scripts by default that map a file server's drives to network drives. Also, the file server uses network DOMAIN permissions to allow/deny access rights to the data drives.

The BE to my database is located on the shared folders/drives. I've linked my db via computer name aka: \\servername\folder\folder\file.mdb

I leave my pc running 24/7 for it houses the test webpages/tools/dbs for my newest projects.

So here's the problem:

My Boss is currently in Montreal (a ways way away from here) and needs to continue editing the information in the database. Ive developed a 100% fully functional frontend for this via a ASP web page and ADODB, however, it cannot see the shared database on the file server most likely because IIS runs on a different user than my own, and it is my user that has permissions on the domain to access the file server (along with all the other people using my access front end). So I was wondering if anyone knew a work around for this because my boss has been @ this plant for 20+ years and is a true VET as far as the equipment involved goes.

Now, he's tried VPN via a company outlet in montreal, and through novell login, and it's having issues with all the packet bouncing involved in our north-america spanning WAN.

So basically, he needs to use this webpage to do this modification.

Also, this would help because for testing purposes i could also perhaps point the website that displays the final product to the shared db and then have the db updated as soon as someone is finished entering thier data.

Any suggestions?

ReAn

Dangerous Programmer...
Local time
Oh Great! NOW I see the ASP forum...

* Slaps self vigorously!

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:30
This is indeed a directory permissions issue. You need to go to the IIS that is hosting your site - right-click and go to properties - click on the directory security tab and then click on the option to edit anonymous access and authentication control. MAke a note of the User name - located there. It will be something like IUSR_something.

Now go to the directory where your db is stored and give IUSR_something full read/write permissions to it.

Once you have changed permissions - you may need to move your db file out and back into the directory to ensure the file inherits the appropriate permissions. I would create a fresh .mdb within your amended directory and import from the old .mdb file.

Such faffin' about really encourages you to use SQL server.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
forgot to add - if the directory is shared (which I guess it is) you need to add the IUSR_.... username to the sharing permissions of the directory as well as the security.

Also make sure the tables within the db you are accessing are not linked.

I haven't managed to read/write to a .mdb over a network which contains linked tables yet.

No idea yet why :rolleyes:

ReAn

Dangerous Programmer...
Local time
Ill see what i can do, it's all controlled by novel currently, so i may be out of luck.

I would use SQL server, but i have no server, currently hosting on my office machine.

*sigh* if only i could get IIS to run in my user ^_^

Last edited:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I would use SQL server, but i have no server, currently hosting on my office machine.once you persuade your boss to buy a copy you'll never look back ;)

ReAn

Dangerous Programmer...
Local time
Well my summer job here ends in a month anyway, so meh~

I think i just figured it out... *messing with iis*

ReAn

Dangerous Programmer...
Local time
o_O ... nope... but very very close...

Users who are viewing this thread