Auto-Populating subform fields with pre existing data (2 Viewers)

Valyn2203

Local time
Today, 22:45
Hi all,

I am currently working on an invoicing system, and have gotten most of the functional requirements I had set met comfortably save for one. the order forms I am trying to create are a many to many relationship between the inventory table and the order numbers table. in between I have a table containing the order ID as well as the item name, I need that table to complete the rest of the item information (item ID, description, price, etc.) from the item name and populate the link table fields. Ideally that also should happen in a subform. I have so far tried to do this with a table and with a query, neither have worked very well, but the query is the closest I have managed to get so far.

I can send further context as soon as I can, I just need to make a copy of the database that wont Dox me
thank you in advance

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:45
It is usually considered unnecessary to store duplicate information in multiple tables. One exception is an inventory system, which sounds like it's what you have. However, even in that situation, I would expect the exception to only apply to the price of the items, not to its description or other things as well.

Once you post a sample db, we'll be able to tell you which direction is a better way to go.

Valyn2203

Local time
Today, 22:45
In this case its mostly cause I am generating a pdf directly from the form and need all the required information on the form already so when I generate it nothing is left out. I have removed a lot of stuff in the given example but nothing major. the form in question is labled at the bottom

Attachments

• Database5.accdb
    1.4 MB · Views: 67

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:45
In this case its mostly cause I am generating a pdf directly from the form and need all the required information on the form already so when I generate it nothing is left out. I have removed a lot of stuff in the given example but nothing major. the form in question is labled at the bottom
I would recommend creating the PDF based on a report, rather than a form. You should be able to have all the data you need in a report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom