AVI video file advice needed.

LEXCERM

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:31
Hi folks.

I am hoping that someone may be able to help me with a problem I have regarding AVI video files, or point me in the direction of a good resource site.

I have an AVI movie file saved on my hardrive which I captured from my Canon MiniDV camcorder using the Ulead program. If I playback the recording on my PC using NeroShowtime or Windows Movie Maker, the quality is excellent. However, if I attempt to add the file to Nero's 'Storyboard' or Windows Movie Maker's 'TimeLine' for editing, the quality of the picture deteriorates. Grainy, jumpy, pixelated. I continued to burn the file to CD to see if the quality improved to it's original excellent state, but the result remains poor quality.

Have logged query with Microsoft/Nero forums, but have received no reply as yet. Have also downloaded the latest Codecs for XP, but this hasn't resolved the issue.

So if there are any budding video enthusiasts who may be able to assist me, I will be eternally grateful.

Thanks for listening,
Paul.

LEXCERM said:
Hi folks.

I am hoping that someone may be able to help me with a problem I have regarding AVI video files, or point me in the direction of a good resource site.

I have an AVI movie file saved on my hardrive which I captured from my Canon MiniDV camcorder using the Ulead program. If I playback the recording on my PC using NeroShowtime or Windows Movie Maker, the quality is excellent. However, if I attempt to add the file to Nero's 'Storyboard' or Windows Movie Maker's 'TimeLine' for editing, the quality of the picture deteriorates. Grainy, jumpy, pixelated. I continued to burn the file to CD to see if the quality improved to it's original excellent state, but the result remains poor quality.

Have logged query with Microsoft/Nero forums, but have received no reply as yet. Have also downloaded the latest Codecs for XP, but this hasn't resolved the issue.

So if there are any budding video enthusiasts who may be able to assist me, I will be eternally grateful.

Thanks for listening,
Paul.

It's quite possible the software is 'compressing' the video when it add it to the storyboard...remember, neither of those packages you are using are non-linear editing packages...I believe Avid has a free NLE on it's website that works with mini-DV. You can get it here.

Thanks for replying Friday.

Am currently looking at a possible codec/compression issue at present.

I did download Avid. Apart from it taken about 5 minutes to load everytime I fired the application up, it re-configured my keyboard and finally changed all my Access desktop icons to PC looking thingies, I decided to call it a day. Kept taking-up 99% of my CPU. Thanks anyway.

Rgds,
Paul.

Do you not have the option to decide what quality you want to record or output as?

LEXCERM said:
Thanks for replying Friday.

Am currently looking at a possible codec/compression issue at present.

I did download Avid. Apart from it taken about 5 minutes to load everytime I fired the application up, it re-configured my keyboard and finally changed all my Access desktop icons to PC looking thingies, I decided to call it a day. Kept taking-up 99% of my CPU. Thanks anyway.

Rgds,
Paul.

Avid is a very resource intensive application. The machine we run it on has 2 GB of memory and a Xenon processor. It's better if you have dual processors. $$$$$ !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom