Barcode Scanners

kevnaff

Local time
Today, 07:34
Hi All.

In our workplace we used to use barcode scanners to perform a yearly audit of stock. We used a Symbol barcode scanner which stores the data until the user decides to download the data from it. To download the data from the scanner and input it into MS Access, we used to use a software program called Win Wedge. When our PC's were updated to Windows 10, Win Wedge was no longer supported, so I cannot upload this data to MS Access at the moment.

When looking online about this issue, it says that a barcode scanner acts like a second keyboard, so this data should show quite easily. However I can't seem to get this working. It may be that the barcode scanner is being blocked out by some policy. The scanner is probably 20+ years old so it's difficult to get support for this. I have tried downloading the data in to Excel and it doesn't work on this either.

For the past 4 years, to download the data, I have had to use a program called Hyperterminal which connects to the scanner. I can then download the data in to this program. I then copy the data in to an Excel spreadsheet, and then append the data to an unlinked table, and run some VBA code to get the information I want.

I was therefore looking for a newer wireless barcode scanner that can store data, which can then be downloaded.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

And are there any things I need to consider when using a barcode scanner with MS Access?

Or am I missing something really simple?

Thanks

Can't you run win wedge in XP mode?

Can't you run win wedge in XP mode?
Unfortunately not, I get the following message....

1719576135796.png

Seems they are all that way? :(

Have you thought of a small VM to bring in the data? though getting a new scanner is obviously the better option.

I have just found some software called 232key (https://www.232key.com/index.html). This does the job perfectly and the data can be configured.

1719579457471.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom