Batch convert .mdb to .accdb

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:05
I came across a bunch of old .mdb's. I really don't know if they contain anything useful but I'd like to convert them. I have a laptop with A2010 so that should be able to read at least back to A97. I know how to do the conversion with code but why reinvent the wheel? Does anyone have a db they created for this purpose that they are willing to share? If not, I'll just build my own and post it later.
Thanks

why convert? I still use old .mdb because they still work.

I came across a bunch of old .mdb's. I really don't know if they contain anything useful but I'd like to convert them. I have a laptop with A2010 so that should be able to read at least back to A97. I know how to do the conversion with code but why reinvent the wheel? Does anyone have a db they created for this purpose that they are willing to share? If not, I'll just build my own and post it later.
Thanks
Pat: Daniel Pineault has one.
I don't remember the link, but search for "mdbconvert"
Kind regards >> Jacinto

Pat: Daniel Pineault has one.
I don't remember the link, but search for "mdbconvert"
Kind regards >> Jacinto
Pat:
I found the link, but for some reason it won't let me send it.On Daniel's website >> "....devhut.net" if you search as I mentioned you will find it.
Greetings again. >> Jacinto

Pat:
I found the link, but for some reason it won't let me send it.On Daniel's website >> "....devhut.net" if you search as I mentioned you will find it.
Greetings again. >> Jacinto
You need a certain number of posts to post a link. Due to recent spammers, that number has been increased.
@MajP has done it for you now.

Thanks for the link anyway.

@Pat Hartman,
If you are like me,the files you want to convert are all over the place in subfolders of some main folder.
I did not try the link, but my guess it only looks into the current folder. Requiring a lot of work. If you want I should have the code that could span a upper folder or even directory and search for all MDBs and log the path into the database. Then if you want it could copy or move the mdbs into a single folder for conversion. Then it could read the converted files and allow you to move back the accdb to the original location with the mdb.

Some stripped down version of this for spanning and logging

No, it handles sub folders as well.
1723555358330.png

why convert? I still use old .mdb because they still work.
They only work if you are using a no longer supported version of Access.

@MajP Thanks. You're right they're spread around but mostly in two high level folders. I've had to do similar stuff with moving files around so I have the code. I just didn't want to have to put it all together if someone had already done it and I was pretty sure there was at least one version out there floating around. I have links to several of our most prolific sample builders and I should have started with them rather than using google and the search feature here.

Thanks everyone. I'll give Daniel's db a whirl.

One other simi-related question. I suspect there is a way of viewing an .mdb as a text file to determine what its version is. Can anyone confirm or deny and provide code if it is possible? I know how to get the version once I can open the db. I'm pretty sure most of the databases I have are A97 or newer so A2010 will work. But I just discovered an old laptop and just bought a replacement power supply so I could power it up. Turns out to be Vista but disappointingly Office is 2010 so I don't currently have any older version installed. If I end up with only a few files i can't convert, I'll take advantage of Gasman's kind offer provided A2007 can read A2.0. If it can't I'll just uninstall Office 2010 and install 97 on the old Vista PC.

JIK anyone has the problem of the missing power supplies for old laptops, This one worked great. Just be sure to check the list of laptops covered. There are several at about the same price and there is a slight variation in the plugs they come with so one might work but not another. This is what I bought.

Pat, to your comment "I suspect there is a way of viewing an .mdb as a text file to determine what its version is." I opened an old .MDB file with Notepad but the problem is that there is nothing in there that looks like version numbering of the form 16.2201.etc.

On the other hand, if you want to look for this: "M i c r o S o f t" (I was using Notepad) you might find that it is part of a library reference that includes more text with spaces between each letter, which could be UNICODE. "M i c r o S o f t \ M i c r o S o f t O f f i c e 1 0 " - which would give you the major version number because MS builds the folders with that major number in it. Don't know whether the format stays consistent as you go back farther and farther in older versions. Sorry to say that I don't have an A97 DB to experiment on. But the section I was in looked like the References list with possibly UNICODE encoding. And the reference list IS stored as file paths so that kind of folder structure might be there.

It's not much - but it's a start. Of course, we have to be careful about reverse engineering DBs. Violates the EULA if we take it far enough to learn some of the juicier secrets.

If my memory is correct, the last version that could open A97 files was A2007. Later versions can handle all formats from A2000 onwards

Well send me one, and we will find out. :)

Just checked.
Correction - A2010 can open / convert A97 files. In fact, I managed to open A95 files as well after a few warning messages

I thought you needed A2003 to read A97. It's useful that you can use A2010

I used to have each major version of Access on my PC, but now I have only A2003 and the current version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom