Best laptop under $350

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 01:18
Anyone have any ideas on what the best brands or specific laptops that are around 350 or less would be?
Consensus on avoiding any particular brand - like Gateway for instance?
I've had good experiences with Lenovo.

I know what many will say, that I should spend a lot more. But if I was only going to spend this amount, what would your guidelines or tips be?

Anyone have any ideas on what the best brands or specific laptops that are around 350 or less would be?
Consensus on avoiding any particular brand - like Gateway for instance?
I've had good experiences with Lenovo.

I know what many will say, that I should spend a lot more. But if I was only going to spend this amount, what would your guidelines or tips be?
I'm not a laptop person. But in casually following computer reviews over the years, I would avoid Dell. As an additional caveat, my feelings toward Dell today may no longer be justified.

I have used Acer and Asus in the past. Now on HP, but I doubt you would get even the first two for that price, unless reconditioned?

Best for what?

Part of the problem is that laptops can go anywhere from a one-lung (well,... one CPU) toy with terrible graphics, slow disks, and limited network options all the way up to gamer-class multi-CPU high-memory monsters with SSD system disks. But generally, the cheaper machines will struggle to have more than two or three apps running simultaneously - like Outlook, Access, and Excel. Decide what you want to do and just remember that low-end machines have the least options.

Unfortunately, most questions about "best" anything are really subjective. If you can lay out objective criteria that the laptop must meet, you are more likely to include or exclude options for reasons other than personal preference.

I've always had good experiences with Dell although it sounds like others have not.

My worst experiences have been with Gateway. They all (ASUS, HP, Dell, Gateway) have options for <350 but I think I'm going to take a chance on a reconditioned Dell for $160 + the 2-year protection plan. I sometimes get by with 4 GB ram and am going to treat myself to 8 now. I do nothing like gaming, just office stuff, internet, work virtual desktop.
My current $200 laptop has been fine for me, it just lived its rather short, 3-year life.

My worst experiences have been with Gateway
gateway is low end, always has been. I believe it was owned by HP at one time too. I have 2 Lenovo laptops, identical twins for 2 different purposes. I recommend Lenovo because of this.

When I'm looking for another machine I start by deciding how fast a processor and how much memory do I want.
Disk space for some time has been more than enough. Will a SSD be acceptable? They are cheaper and quick.
Once I've got that information I'll look around for the cheapest I can buy it for from reliable suppliers.
Placing a price limit may not be a good idea. There has been a lot of inflation recently and you may be behind the times.

I went ahead and ordered a reconditioned Dell with 8 gb ram for $160, plus the protection plan, from walmart.
If it lasts me 1-2 yrs I'll be happy.
I prefer to buy cheap and replace "often" [in some people's view], as I retain absolutely ZERO files on my computer that aren't backed up to the cloud and easily downloadable, so switching out a laptop is trivial.
Inflation has been bad but Walmart I'm impressed with how many prices they've held steady. I think they allowed inflation to affect their produce and food for sure, but they implemented something to make it not even look like inflation on their housewares and electronics. Probably supplier pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom