Business as Usual (1 Viewer)

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 10:42
You got to love the Republican Party.

Barely a month in office, and they have abandoned the country.

Associated Press
WASHINGTON – Republicans won dozens of elections last fall after claiming Democrats had focused too little on creating jobs. Now GOP lawmakers stand accused of the same charge, using their new House majority to push to repeal the president's health care law, restrict abortions and highlight other social issues important to their most conservative supporters.
Republican leaders say they have a jobs agenda, kicked off by their attempt to unravel what they call the Democrats' "jobs-killing" health overhaul.

Blah, Blah, Blah.

When will the American People wake up. Republicans want to destroy the middle class, and their thinly veiled lies are going to unravel around their ears.

Speaking of health care; I heard a senate hearing on that subject today on CSpan. As the country is finally getting an understanding of the benefits of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act it will become increasingly harder to force us back to being raped by the Insurance Companies.

I love it when facts actually overcome, rhetoric, propaganda, and downright lies.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20000846-503544.html

The Republicans are now accusing the Democrats of only advertising the parts that are popular. Sounds like a better plan than trying to convince the People that the plan is entirely evil, and it is going to destroy the Country.

We must relentlessly pursue the truth and make them pay for their lies.

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 15:42
Josie, do you really think politicians will ever tell the truth?

America (from what we hear) is suffering economically - unemployment etc etc. Did you know the US pays Egypt $1billion per year and has done since Camp David summit 30 years ago?

Like in the UK, should home affairs be the first priority?

Col

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Josie, do you really think politicians will ever tell the truth?

America (from what we hear) is suffering economically - unemployment etc etc. Did you know the US pays Egypt $1billion per year and has done since Camp David summit 30 years ago?

Like in the UK, should home affairs be the first priority?

Col

I know, but more has gone to Pakistan. What we give to foreign nations is irrelevant.

The UK has new leadership and they have implemented a government cost cutting program. Prior to this evolution they had the four quarters of growth. In the last quarter the UK economy shrunk. Cost cutting is not the answer. Freezing spending, and increasing the size of the economy is the only way to fix Federal (I don’t know ya’ll call it over there) budget.

You would think that even regular folks could see that. Look at China, a communist country has out grown the West for 20 years. All of that based on increasing manufacturing.

In Europe the shining star is Germany, they have more stringent regulations than the US and higher wages, yet they are becoming the world leader in high end manufacturing.

Americans are brainwashed into thinking that lowering the tax burden on the ultra rich will increase investment. And this; even in the face of 30 years of decline in the livelihood of the middle class.

Soon we will most likely lose our deduction on interest paid on our homes. Yet these same home owner still believe that the it is in their best interest to keep the marginal tax rate low.

In 1861 Southern white folks went to war to protect the rights of the ultra rich to own slaves. They were too stupid to get it that slavery was competing with them for the lowest paying jobs.

Like lambs to the slaughter.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 15:42
Thales I still consider that the jury is out on what the most efficient way of stimulating an economy.

Whether that be low taxes or high taxes.

I find it disappointing that economists haven't managed to sus this out to any realistic conclusion.

My personal view quite possibly resulting primarily as a result of my upbringing is more towards the freemarket. The people make a country great leave them too it and they'll prosper.

I support
Free primary and secondary education for all
Free tertiary education for required numbers based on meritocracy.
Free basic healthcare for all
Stable government

I have a hunch that people just want to be treated equitably. Thus the rich complain when they are extensively taxed and the poor complain when the rich can avoid taxes and give their children preferential education.

In our country many of the big companies get preferential taxes on some of their sites for instance. Just as an encouragement to locate seems to me that is a real kick in the guts to the smaller guys.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
What Americans have to wake up and see is that the government just keeps going back and forth! We can't have any progress if the parties keep disagreeing! There has to be some compromise. People keep voting in politicians that are not bipartisan, so what do they expect when the country keeps falling further behind? I'm so sick of the "Republicans did this" or "Democrats did that" mentality. They might as well just say, "Hello Kettle, I'm Pot, you're black!"

Insane_ai

Not Really an A.I.
Local time
Judge Roger Vinson, a Reagan appointee serving in Pensacola, Florida, ruled that key components of the law are unconstitutional and that the entire law "must be declared void."
In the decision, Vinson writes:
"... I must reluctantly conclude that Congress exceeded the bounds of its authority in passing the Act with the individual mandate. That is not to say, of course, that Congress is without power to address the problems and inequities in our health care system. The health care market is more than one sixth of the national economy, and without doubt Congress has the power to reform and regulate this market. That has not been disputed in this case. The principal dispute has been about how Congress chose to exercise that power here.
Because the individual mandate is unconstitutional and not severable, the entire Act must be declared void."

I consider this a victory​

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Thales I still consider that the jury is out on what the most efficient way of stimulating an economy.

Whether that be low taxes or high taxes.

I find it disappointing that economists haven't managed to sus this out to any realistic conclusion.
Ready for another outstanding viewpoint.:D

What is the logical basis for using taxes to "stimulate" the economy?:confused: Technically, the economy moves in response to consumer demand. The problem we have now is that the consumer is not buying. To make matters even worse, the so-called "stimulus" money is being given to the wrong target group, that is businesses rather than the consumer.

A major reason that taxes are used to "stimulate" the economy is that it makes our do nothing politicians appear that they are taking action to solve our economic problems. For some politicians, such as the Republicans, this is quite hypocritical since they assert that the government should stay out of the economy!

What Americans have to wake up and see is that the government just keeps going back and forth! We can't have any progress if the parties keep disagreeing!
Its an alternating blame game. That's why we have two parties, so each can take a turn at using the finger-of-blame. Who says we can't share.:D

The Republicans run up a huge debt, the Democrats point out these grossly irresponsible acts. The public believing the Democrats' promises for fiscal responsibility rush to vote the Democrats into office, who immediately implement even greater deficit spending. (Of course, because we have a competitive society, the Democrats just have outspend/out-deficit the Republicans.) Now it has become the Republicans' turn to howl with great fanfare and indignation the need for fiscal responsibility.

The public has now begun to vote in a new set of of opportunistic people who promise that they really will impose fiscal responsibility. If the past is the future, the new crowd will be the same as the old crowd. A nation run on Bread and Circuses.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Today, 09:42
What Americans have to wake up and see is that the government just keeps going back and forth! We can't have any progress if the parties keep disagreeing! There has to be some compromise. People keep voting in politicians that are not bipartisan, so what do they expect when the country keeps falling further behind? I'm so sick of the "Republicans did this" or "Democrats did that" mentality. They might as well just say, "Hello Kettle, I'm Pot, you're black!"

Hey, something we agree on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom