Can I remain in IT and be a Lawyer????

popeye

Work smarter, not harder.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:37
Growing up I've always wanted to be a lawyer.... I think it mostly was the fascination with the written word and those movies with the moving speeches that got to me, and although Im okay at verbal delivery I choose IT. Almost finished my IT major in universary now but i think im at a dangerous cross roads adn would love the input of EVERYBODY that reads this post since i REALLY respect everyone that is a part of this forum...

Im gona be 24 when i finish my first degree in computer science, so im wondering if i should do my masters (2years) in Management Information Systems which would mean i leave school at 26 and then go work in the IT industry for about three years and when Im thirty go to law school...Probably about 5 years of law school and tthen I start practicing.

The dilema is Im wondering if im gona have to give up programming and if I would have to would having spent about six years of my life studying for the career which lasts only three years have made sense?

... all opinions again are welcomed. I understand that no one can dictate how someone else lives their life but i find this to be a real cross roads, just wana be sure i've given due consideration to as many things as possible..

NB. I want to have a very diversified and colourful life experience hence the willingness to enter IT before going to Law or even becoming a writer (First book almost done "Rhyme to Reason; The path between")

Let me see, I.T., logic design.
Lawyer, no logic what so ever.

Sure, sounds compatable to me! :rolleyes:

It's your life to live, so do what you want to do with it. ;)

Seriously, you're not yet 24 and you're talking about going to law school when you're 30. A lot can change between now and then, so if you finish your Master's when you're 26 and you get out in the real world you'll still have 4 years or so to decide if that's something you still want to do or not. If it is, then do it.

OK, maybe a little more helpful that the first post of mine.
My daughter with a B.A. in MIS, graduated in 2000, and has been working since then. Now she decides she wants to be a vet. Problem, she makes too much money to quit and go back to school. Night school on those really long degrees are not really an option. She's 28 now and putting her husband through his masters. So she has to decide to quit a 6 figure job at age 30 (couple years yet) and go back to school, or stick it out and and make the money. As I always tell her, it aint about the money, but once you have, it is hard to give up.

going with what mrsgorilla said - 6 years is a very long time. but, having your IT knowledge could be quite beneficial - first thought i had when i read your post was 'why not try IT law?'....it is a growing area (hence people who actually know what they are talking about are scarce and therefore can command top notch salaries). although from what you've said it seems like you are wanting to go for the cut and thrust of the courtrooms:eek:

looking at another route - you could do some work experience at a law firm and complement that by helping out with their IT systems. a lot of small law firms have only just got rid of their typewriters. be wary of ending up as full time IT support though........

'why not try IT law?'....it is a growing area (hence people who actually know what they are talking about are scarce and therefore can command top notch salaries). although from what you've said it seems like you are wanting to go for the cut and thrust of the courtrooms:eek:

looking at another route - you could do some work experience at a law firm and complement that by helping out with their IT systems.

The IT law thing crossed my mind but i guess i havent given it sufficient thought, I know that what Im asking may seem a very long way from now but the thing is I thik i made some critical mistakes in the past by not having seriously looked at the next three years from when I was in high school and hence, I had it rough in the first two years of college, doing Chemistry and other VERY IRRELEVANT STUDIES.... so i feel like im behind in some way.

I dont want my IT knowledge to go to waste, and yes, at first i was thinking of the courtroom, but business law is appealing more and more to me..

By the way thanx for the suggestion about working in a Lw firm's IT department, I really think that may just allow me sufficient exposure to stand on the line and look just a little to see it "Law" is really the "Promise Land" or if Im already walking in it, with all the other IT giants in this forum

FoFa said:
Let me see, I.T., logic design.
Lawyer, no logic what so ever.

Sure, sounds compatable to me! :rolleyes:

I was more thinking, IT --> intense problem solving skills and Good Thinker
LAw -> Good Thinker... I see a tiny link:rolleyes:

thnx for the latter of your first two posts though, the giving up the making of the money to go back to school is something Im gona have to wraap my head around...

i program for this bauxite company here in Jamaica for the last four summers and since this year and last year, I was impressed with the salary (FOR A SUMMER EMPLOYEE) can't wait to see what my earnings would be like when Im really in the industry.

You can still read for the law in the British justice system. Law school is not essential (but it sure helps).
See if you can get an IT job at a firm that specializes in IT law. Go to law school part time.
Let them know up front what you're doing and that some tutoring in the law is part of the deal you are asking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom