Can You ISP Tell If You Are Using a VPN?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 05:40
Brazil must think so. They're planning on fining anyone using a vpn to get to x.

The headers of TCP/IP packets are not encrypted even though the payloads are. Therefore they would know you had some amount of traffic to someplace. You can't encrypt the headers because neither hop-to-hop nor end-to-end traffic could be routed.

I've been using a VPN for a while now. More sites required CAPTCHA, the spy and download software since I installed it. So there are less sites that I will open. If I open a site that requires CAPTCHA on the PC with the VPN, then open the same site on the RaspberryPi that doesn't. No CAPTCHA on the RPi and the only difference is the VPN. So Google can obtain what it wants from the RPi without it. I'll format the SD and install a new OS from time to time on the RPi just to start again with a clean sheet.

Yes, very easily however then can only identify the amount of traffic passed via the tunnel but cannot interpret content of the data (Without taking considerable time!) There are methods to prevent them from doing this also with some basic networking & encryption skills. Consider VyprVPN to minimize pattern use, no logging and only runs on their own servers...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom