Cant open DB

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 08:42
Can’t open my main church DB from desk top icon, so went to file manger. Will not open from file manager. Noticed 3 other copies with little pad locks on icon. Tried deleting those files and gives me a message. This action can’t be completed because the file is open in MS access.

What’s going on. Not anything open in my task bar.

Can’t open my main church DB from desk top icon, so went to file manger. Will not open from file manager. Noticed 3 other copies with little pad locks on icon. Tried deleting those files and gives me a message. This action can’t be completed because the file is open in MS access.

What’s going on. Not anything open in my task bar.
I've been getting that today and yesterday. Try rebooting the computer then delete the locked file. That worked for me.

Reboot the system if nobody else is on it. Those locks are probably file locks. After a reboot, NO file that WAS locked can remain locked. Note that if this a locked file situation, Windows will balk at shutting down and will ask if you really want to shutdown despite having files open. Note also that if there ARE damaged files, they will not be usable again until you run Compact & Repair on them.

However, the little locks COULD also indicate that the DB might have abnormally terminated and locked a recovery copy of itself as a precaution. If so, it did that three times.

Reboot the system if nobody else is on it. Those locks are probably file locks. After a reboot, NO file that WAS locked can remain locked. Note that if this a locked file situation, Windows will balk at shutting down and will ask if you really want to shutdown despite having files open. Note also that if there ARE damaged files, they will not be usable again until you run Compact & Repair on them.

However, the little locks COULD also indicate that the DB might have abnormally terminated and locked a recovery copy of itself as a precaution. If so, it did that three times.
Thanks to both of you, that did the trick. By the way Doc I went by and waved on Sat. the 3rd, but I guess you didn't see me. I am in Longview, TX but Lord willing I will be coming by again on the 19th or 20th. BTW: Did I see sign that said there was a toll on Pontchartrain bridge. If so is that new?

The toll for the Lake Ponchartrain Causeway bridge is one-way, north-to-south. There is no toll for the south-to-north passage. That has been there for at least 30 years and maybe longer than that. I don't remember what it is up to, but they catch their money from the folks who live on the North Shore and work in Jefferson, Metairie, Kenner, Harahan, or New Orleans. And given the shape of the lake, going around via I-10 (to the east) or I-55 (to the west) adds another 40 miles to the drive either way.

On Saturday Aug. 3rd I was tending to my dear wife after her foot surgery on Aug. 1st. Her foot is mostly healed up now, just a little residual soreness. The scabs on the incision are almost completely gone and she had no infection this time, unlike when she had her left knee replaced. On the 3rd, I might have been too distracted by honey-do work to wave back.

The toll for the Lake Ponchartrain Causeway bridge is one-way, north-to-south. There is no toll for the south-to-north passage. That has been there for at least 30 years and maybe longer than that. I don't remember what it is up to, but they catch their money from the folks who live on the North Shore and work in Jefferson, Metairie, Kenner, Harahan, or New Orleans. And given the shape of the lake, going around via I-10 (to the east) or I-55 (to the west) adds another 40 miles to the drive either way.

On Saturday Aug. 3rd I was tending to my dear wife after her foot surgery on Aug. 1st. Her foot is mostly healed up now, just a little residual soreness. The scabs on the incision are almost completely gone and she had no infection this time, unlike when she had her left knee replaced. On the 3rd, I might have been too distracted by honey-do work to wave back.
I well upstand, as you know I spend a lot at the nursing home taking care of my wife. That came to an end July 28, she went to be with the Lord.

Oh, Dick, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you can find some peace in the coming days. Even though you believe she has gone with God and thus has found HER peace, you are still here to deal with this life for a while longer. If you continue to do your good work helping other churches and congregations, that may sustain you. But I know what it is like to lose someone close. I lost my mother 37 years ago and that took me a while to get to the point that I was on an even keel again.

Best wishes for you to find comfort, my friend.

My heart goes out to you Dick. I understand your loss. Being in a nursing home is no picnic so she is in better place now. You will always miss her. Just remember the good times. For a while after my husband died, I kept a notebook where I wrote down the funny things he said and the loving things he did for all of us. When I went looking for a headstone, I saw a beautiful black granite bench and bought that instead. It gives me a place to sit and contemplate life in the shade of a lovely tree.

My heart goes out to you Dick. I understand your loss. Being in a nursing home is no picnic so she is in better place now. You will always miss her. Just remember the good times. For a while after my husband died, I kept a notebook where I wrote down the funny things he said and the loving things he did for all of us. When I went looking for a headstone, I saw a beautiful black granite bench and bought that instead. It gives me a place to sit and contemplate life in the shade of a lovely tree.
Thanks Pat and to all. I am handling it pretty well. I am determined to practice what I preach. Just took me an hour to prepare a letter to help a woman with her problem back in FL. My ministry keeps me so busy I don't have much time for a pity party. The thing I wasn't ready for was things that reminded me of her. Just had to make a hospital visit in the Dallas area. It was about 150 miles from my room, and territory that her and I visited many times. Caught myself 3 times thinking I will have to text Virginia that just went by her favorite restaurant.

Those memory triggers will get you every time, Dick. If I may offer advice from when I lost my parents...

At first, your freshest memories of your recently departed loved one are also the most painful because they are from the time of that person's decline and demise, neither of which is likely to be good. Your memory is naturally drawn to those freshest memories, which is a real rough spot. But as time passes, you can bring your memories back to the better times, times of enjoyment, times when things were good. Once you can get past the "speed bumps" and remember those better times, your healing will be underway. You will of course never get completely over the loss, but once you get past the most recent memories, the pain of your loss will begin to fade and you will recall the love that you had. The warmth might be a little faded, but it is still there.

I learned one valuable lesson during that time, though it was also a painful lesson. Allow yourself time to grieve. When my father died, I was immediately deluged with caring for my mother and didn't have time to process Dad's passing. Then, when Mom finally passed, BOTH of their losses caught up with me. Grief can be tough - but deferred grief can be tougher. Grief leads to healing, though, so let it happen now and then.

By the way, my wife has added you to her morning prayers for a while in hopes that it will do you some good to know that someone else cares enough to remember you in that way.

Those memory triggers will get you every time, Dick. If I may offer advice from when I lost my parents...

At first, your freshest memories of your recently departed loved one are also the most painful because they are from the time of that person's decline and demise, neither of which is likely to be good. Your memory is naturally drawn to those freshest memories, which is a real rough spot. But as time passes, you can bring your memories back to the better times, times of enjoyment, times when things were good. Once you can get past the "speed bumps" and remember those better times, your healing will be underway. You will of course never get completely over the loss, but once you get past the most recent memories, the pain of your loss will begin to fade and you will recall the love that you had. The warmth might be a little faded, but it is still there.

I learned one valuable lesson during that time, though it was also a painful lesson. Allow yourself time to grieve. When my father died, I was immediately deluged with caring for my mother and didn't have time to process Dad's passing. Then, when Mom finally passed, BOTH of their losses caught up with me. Grief can be tough - but deferred grief can be tougher. Grief leads to healing, though, so let it happen now and then.

By the way, my wife has added you to her morning prayers for a while in hopes that it will do you some good to know that someone else cares enough to remember you in that way.
Thanks, Prayer always does good. Some of the good memories are coming this coming Sunday. The church in Hallsville, TX where I am preaching I will be using a power point presentation with her and the the host pastor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom