Changing from Sterling to Euro at run time

• Thread starter Thread starter Funky Buddha
  • Start date Start date
F

Funky Buddha

Hi guys...
I'm trying to set an application up that stores client details. One of these is a tick box saying whether the client pays in Euros. If this is not ticked the client pays in Sterling.
I want to then be able to display on a form a break down of pricing with the € or £ sign depending on this.
Any ideas would be fantastic as my head is about to explode:eek:

Hi,

I'm hoping to revive this old thread as it is exactly what I was about to ask.

Basically in my case the value of our contracts can be entered in either sterling or Euros and the currency it is entered in is specified by another field. On the input for the currency selected is either EUR or GBP. THis is fine for the form but in the report I would like it to show up as € or £. How do I get a euro sign to display in a report? Or alternatively how do I store a euro sign in a table?

Thanks Robyn

If you use the key Alt+0128 € it will give you the euro sign. Then save this a a label on your report and in your underlying query have a flag that denotes euro or gbp and show/hide the label accordingly.

David

one issue here is how this all integrates with your accounting system - especially relevant in recent times as sterling has moved against other currencies

when you summarise your sales, they will presumably all be in sterling - in which case you need to be able to handle the losses/profits due to exchange rate differences -

so presumably you need to store an exchange rate table, or at least store the exchange rate applied somewhere in your system.

Thanks, I've worked out the Euro sign so that is now working okay.

As to how it feeds into the accounting system, that's not really a huge concern as the database is not used directly to calculate any costing but more to report the amount we spent on a project compared to the amount it is worth.

We have a baseline conversion rate that remains fixed for the year (which I have stored in a conversion rates table) that is used for these reports (I don't quite understand how this is deemed accurate enough, but that is what they want to use and so I'm not going to argue). So basically all I am going to do for the reports is have a form that allows the user to chose the currency of the report and then for any relevant fields just multiply the original cost by the conversion rate for the currency of the report and divide by the conversion rate of the original currency. (I have GBP to GBP set to 1).

I do not have to worry about the affects of changing exchange rates throughout the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom