Cloud Backup? (1 Viewer)

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Today, 15:22
What do you use? I currently use Carbonite but creating a download takes forever, even for smaller folders way belong the maximum. I'm using brand new computers and Xfinity. Nothing else is turned on.

On my new computer, I use a stick drive and a batch script that copies the contents of my critical folders. It's a USB 3.0 stick with pretty high capacity, so it has a very fast copy rate. I also know that I only need about 15 GB for everything and a 32 GB stick is pretty cheap. A lot cheaper than the yearly subscriptions to any of the commercial cloud-based file backup services. I absolutely DO NOT trust the privacy of any cloud setup.

We use a iDrive account. It has a cost associated with it, but is operated as a Scheduled Incremental back up, with recovery possible to any point in time in the history available.

It appear to be quick and painless to operate, I have approx. 115GB of files backed up in total.
You can also have it Sync in real time, but I don't need that. I have a decent internet connection and as it only stores changes the backups are generally quite small (under 200MB) and normally takes under a minute.

Restoring is simple and easy. The UI is clean and straight-forward to use.

Last edited:
Will that work for a total or partial restore?

I've used it to transfer my wife's "life" to at least 2 different computers. Just download the folders again. But we're pretty targeted, all we do is backup the folders on Desktop and keep it very simple.

I also subscribe to Adrive, which has a lot of FTP and API's type of stuff, but rarely use it any more. Used to use it to give customers uploads and downloads and merges of data from disparate Access non-split databases in special circumstances, but now just have old (customer-related, mostly and family backups from many years ago) memories on it - like 90 GB of them

Be careful with automatic backup like to Google drive... If you get an infection it can affect your files and then they can be backed up automatically and hey presto, you've got infected files on your computer and infected files in your backup....

I create a folder on my PC ..

By way of example...

Call it "Nifty Transpose Tool" it contains the MS Access dB transpose tool, and all the saved backup versions created whist developing.

I create the same folder on Google drive.

From Google drive, I copy the files from the PC folder into the Google drive folder. Google drive has the facility to do this manually...

In this Google drive folder with the same name as the PC folder, I create a Google Doc with the same name as the folder but suffixed with Notes:-

Nifty Transpose Tool - Notes

I developed a python script and a Chrome extension which makes this an automatic document creation.

If anyone wants to try this out let me know and I will help you set it up.

I copy the link for both the notes and the actual drive folder into shortcuts to in the PC folder.

In the newly created Google Doc "Nifty Transpose Tool - Notes" the first thing I do is include the UNC of the folder where the associated files reside on my PC.

Once I've done some work on the latest version of the Microsoft Access database I am developing, I make a copy and rename it to the next version number for example:-

NiftyTransposeTool_2b.acmdb

I copy the UNC of the PC folder.

Then I click on the shortcut to open the Google drive folder, select upload file, add the UNC, choose the latest version of the mdb which is not being uploaded yet.

All done!!!

A single click on the shortcut in the PC folder will open the associated Google Doc "Nifty Transpose Tool - Notes" where I can moan about how shit MS Access is because it isn't working as I expect. Then a few hours later I can read those notes and laugh at myself because it was human error!

Now looking at this it sounds a bit long-winded but once it's set up, it's easy to do, also safe and foolproof!!!

I'll let you know when it's not foolproof!!!

Last edited:
Be careful with automatic backup like to Google drive... If you get an infection it can affect your files and then they can be backed up automatically and hey presto, you've got infected files on your computer and infected files in your backup....
Agree, Drive has some options for synch vs. copy and mirror, I think those are key IF you're worried about that particular thing.
I haven't really dealt with viruses for so many years I forget they exist sometimes - but you make a good reminder that it's still a threat.

I should add that when I did gigs for consulting customers, I didn't use Drive as the backup, I used other methods that copied versions of files at certain intervals instead. Haven't done that work for a little while now, just too busy with the rest of life I suppose at this juncture

In the newly created Google Doc "Nifty Transpose Tool - Notes" the first thing I do is include the UNC of the folder where the associated files reside on my PC.

BTW, there's a good reason for doing this. I find the PC file search facility is chronically slow & annoying!

Searching Google drive is incredibly fast!

So once I find what I'm looking for in GDrive I have the UNC to the files location on the PC's readily to hand....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom