Combo box autofills ghost values

omarrr128

Local time
Today, 17:22
Hello,

When I want to compact my backend I will open and close it. I sometimes then have issues with the field in my table that is a combo box. It for some reason becomes a required field despite it saying Required Value = “No” . So when any new record is created it will input a value on its own.

What confused me more is that it pulls the value from thin air, even if all previous records were deleted it will somehow input one of those values.

Firstly how to fix the required by itself part? and secondly how does it input deleted records?

thank you!

Also one thing I forgot is that the option to index this field will disappear after compact

Last edited:
What is the default on the table?
Is there a default on the form?

Defaults, if you define them, always fill the record if the field is empty regardless of whether the field is defined as required or not.

Hello.........🥰

It is possible that the field become necessary due to a bug after compacting. Attempt to reset the field's properties manually or rebuild the table.

It's possible that the removed entries are showing up due to an auto-fill or residual reference. Check to see whether there is a default value or query associated with those previous entries.

The disappearance of the index option might be caused by corruption during the compacting process. Running a compact and repair before making changes may be helpful.

I hope this helps!

Respected community member!😇

What is the default on the table?
Is there a default on the form?

Defaults, if you define them, always fill the record if the field is empty regardless of whether the field is defined as required or not.
Default value? There is nothing.

To clarify the database works perfectly fine until I compact the backend. 90% of the time it compacts without problem but sometimes it will have this issue where the combo box acts differently despite having the same properties.

I think for now I'll change it to a text box

Hello.........🥰

It is possible that the field become necessary due to a bug after compacting. Attempt to reset the field's properties manually or rebuild the table.

It's possible that the removed entries are showing up due to an auto-fill or residual reference. Check to see whether there is a default value or query associated with those previous entries.

The disappearance of the index option might be caused by corruption during the compacting process. Running a compact and repair before making changes may be helpful.

I hope this helps!

Respected community member!😇
Thank you very much this is helpful.

I think the query explains the ghost values. And I think youre right with it being a compacting bug as it only happens 10% of the time. For now I'll just switch the combo box to a text box instead.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom