Solved Compile error : User-defined type not defined (Dim xlApp As Excel.Application), due to problem with 'Microsoft Excel 16.0 Object Library' Reference (1 Viewer)

alan2013

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:12
In recent days, a colleague sent me an Access database to make some changes to, and I did, and sent it back to him. On opening it, my colleague encountered a compile error :

Compile error : Can't find project or library

On looking at the 'References' list (my suggestion), he saw amongst the list 'MISSING : Microsoft Excel 16.0 Object Library' (with 'Location' C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office 16\EXCEL.EXE). I suggested that he un-tick that Reference, and he did.

That seemed to resolve the "Can't find project or library" compile error. However, now he's getting another compile error :

Compile error : User-defined type not defined

And that compile error points to the following line in the VBA code :

Dim xlApp As Excel.Application

So I take it that's due to the 'Microsoft Excel 16.0 Object Library' Reference having been un-ticked (see above).

It now transpires that there had been a miscommunication : I hadn't realized that the database I had been sent was Access 2013. I worked on it in Access 2021. That may have triggered these problems, I suppose.

Excuse my ignorance of these things, but : How can this be fixed now, please ?
TIA

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Since you're using early binding and your colleague has an earlier version of Office, they simply need to add a reference to their version of Excel.

alan2013

Registered User.
Local time
Since you're using early binding and your colleague has an earlier version of Office, they simply need to add a reference to their version of Excel.
Excuse my further ignorance of early binding, Refereences, etc, DBGuy, but exactly what does he have to do, technically ? Reinstate the 'Microsoft Excel 16.0 Object Library' Reference that was previously un-ticked? (Won't that re-introduce the other problem that he initially encountered ?)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Excuse my further ignorance of early binding, Refereences, etc, DBGuy, but exactly what does he have to do, technically ? Reinstate the 'Microsoft Excel 16.0 Object Library' Reference that was previously un-ticked? (Won't that re-introduce the other problem that he initially encountered ?)
Your friend cannot readd the reference to Excel 16, because it doesn't exist in their system; hence, it's marked as missing. Instead, they have to add a reference to the version of Excel that is on their system. It could be Excel 12.0 or 14.0 or 15.0, etc.

alan2013

Registered User.
Local time
Your friend cannot readd the reference to Excel 16, because it doesn't exist in their system; hence, it's marked as missing. Instead, they have to add a reference to the version of Excel that is on their system. It could be Excel 12.0 or 14.0 or 15.0, etc.
So I need to instruct him to go to References, take a look down through the list of Available References, and tick whatever is present in the list where the Excel object library is concerned (ie. add a 'Microsoft Excel XX.X Object Library' Reference, XX.XX being whatever the version number is in his list) ?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:12
So I need to instruct him to go to References, take a look down through the list of Available References, and tick whatever is present in the list where the Excel object library is concerned (ie. add a 'Microsoft Excel XX.X Object Library' Reference, XX.XX being whatever the version number is in his list) ?
Yes, that is basically correct. It will likely fix the problem. HOWEVER, there CAN be version incompatibilities. They are rare. Therefore, full disclosure is that re-referencing the Excel library SHOULD fix the problem - but not 100% guaranteed. Maybe 99% and a fraction to fix the issue. IF another error pops up, just remember to copy the exact text of the message - and if it highlights a particular line or object, tell us about that, too.

alan2013

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks very much for your help

alan2013

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, that is basically correct. It will likely fix the problem. HOWEVER, there CAN be version incompatibilities. They are rare. Therefore, full disclosure is that re-referencing the Excel library SHOULD fix the problem - but not 100% guaranteed. Maybe 99% and a fraction to fix the issue. IF another error pops up, just remember to copy the exact text of the message - and if it highlights a particular line or object, tell us about that, too.
Thanks very much for your help. I'll prompt him to try it, and see how it goes.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks very much for your help
You're welcome. @The_Doc_Man and I were happy to help. Good luck. There is a code solution, but doing it manually is pretty straightforward and simple. You can also consider switching to late binding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom