Data Macros on Linked Tables

diofree

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:54
Hi all,
I am going to be setting up an Access DB with linked tables into SharePoint. I want to be able to setup data macros but came across this note on a Microsoft page:

"Data macro logic only works with local tables; not linked tables although you can work around this when you are using an Access front-end and Access back-end by adding data macros to the source table."

What is meant here by the "source table"?

thank you!

you go to the back end which is your data source - since the backend (should) contain all your tables, they are all local to each other.

The comment you are referring to means that if you had a table in the front end, data macros in that table would not work with tables you have linked to in the back end (or visa versa).

Similarly, if your front end links to tables in a backend and also to sharepoint, data macros in your backend will not work with the sharepoint tables.

I've no idea whether you can put data macros in sharepoint tables.

Thanks CJ!
So one way around this would be to make the tables Read Only in SharePoint, and only editable by using the Access Client where I would also add my data macros. :)

Thanks!

only editable by using the Access Client where I would also add my data macros.

As I said - data macros are added to the actual tables (not clients) and are about adding/updating/deleting records so not clear what you are trying to achieve

CJ,
Sorry maybe I misunderstood. If I am not accessing my DB tables in Access, where exactly am I working with them?

data macros are a property of the table design for access tables only - they are not used by other db systems such a sql server (don't know about sharepoint) although they may have something similar

attachment.php

Access is fairly unique in that it provides two environments - the front end which is what the user sees and interacts with and the backend which uses the ACE system (previously JET) to store and manage data. However you can use alternative backends such as sql server, MySQL, oracle

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,260
just a thought - data macros are a specific function of access. Access can also use 'ordinary' macros in the front end, although most users who require anything more complex will use vba (which is like Excel macros) just to confuse the issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom