Does a form exists or not? (1 Viewer)

PRLJacek

Local time
Today, 15:29
Hi.

The case concerns Access 95. I have a file called 1.mdb from which I need to import forms into a new file because it is damaged, and I also want to convert this file to the .accdb format.

This file contains the 'UpdateAlbaranSubform' form.
Unfortunately, this form is not visible on the list of forms ('No Form' image), but when I try to import forms from the 1.mdb file in a new file, this form appears on the list ('Form exists' image).
When trying to import it, an error appears ('Error' image).
Here is a short video: http://film.moj.pl/Form.mp4

Please advise what I can do to make the import successful?

Regards.

Attachments

• Error.png
    Error.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Form exists.jpg
    Form exists.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 47
  • No Form.jpg
    No Form.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:29
You didn't say anything about this, so can you try to unhide all hidden forms to see if your problem was that it was hidden?

If the MDB file is damaged, how do you KNOW that it is damaged? I.e. what message or symptom led you to that conclusion. Because your answer might help us focus better.

Unfortunately, if your file really IS damaged, it might indeed occur that the part of the file that is damaged is also the part that contained the form. Closed forms of a simple nature don't take up a lot of space and I can easily imagine that a simple form could be fully contained in one Access disk buffer (usually 4Kbytes).

Hope you had a good backup.

PRLJacek

Local time
Hi.

Of course, I have 'show hidden objects' set in the options.
The attached image shows the content of the 'MSysObjects' table, where you can see that this form exists.
You ask how I know that the database is damaged. I think so, since there is a message saying 'Module not found'. I don't know why it's visible in some situations and not in others. That's why I took the liberty of writing here. :)

Unfortunately I don't have an archive. This is the database of someone from Facebbok from Spain. He asked me to convert it from 95 to 2021.

Attachments

• Config.png
    Config.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 41
  • MSysObjects.png
    MSysObjects.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

PRLJacek

Local time
I tried to transfer the forms using the code as in the image and the forms were transferred, but when converting this file in Access 2003 I get a message that the 'VBA project' is damaged.

Attachments

• Import forms.png
    Import forms.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 45

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:29
Well, that's why it's called "corruption".

Try importing everything except that one form and see if the new db corrupts.

Hopefully your friend can recreate the missing form.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:29
Unfortunately, I have no copy of Ac95 that I could use for experiments. However, if MSysObjects shows it but you cannot access it, I think we can make a good guess as to what part is damaged. I have not had to perform a massive recovery of this kind so will have to hope that other members here have more direct knowledge or experience for recovering from a damaged Ac95.

You might try to manually export everything to text files to see what is available. Even forms can be exported as text and later re-imported. It should be possible to later import everything from those text files in another DB.

PRLJacek

Local time
Well, that's why it's called "corruption".

Try importing everything except that one form and see if the new db corrupts.

Hopefully your friend can recreate the missing form.
I tried to do this for a few other forms and then managed to convert from 95 in Access 2003 and later to Access 2021, but this does not solve the problem as I need to convert all the objects. The code I posted only imports forms that do not report the 'On Error Resume Next' error and then 'supposedly undamaged forms' are imported, but such a file does not convert in Access 2003 (I gave the error above).

PRLJacek

Local time
Unfortunately, I have no copy of Ac95 that I could use for experiments. However, if MSysObjects shows it but you cannot access it, I think we can make a good guess as to what part is damaged. I have not had to perform a massive recovery of this kind so will have to hope that other members here have more direct knowledge or experience for recovering from a damaged Ac95.

You might try to manually export everything to text files to see what is available. Even forms can be exported as text and later re-imported. It should be possible to later import everything from those text files in another DB.
Thank you for the tip to export as text, but unfortunately there is no 'SaveAsText' in Access 95. :( I didn't write very important information. Well, the file size is 996 MB... I think this may cause such problems. What do you think?

I cannot send a link, so please look at this movie: http://film.moj.pl/Test.mp4

Last edited:

PRLJacek

Local time
Thank you Eberhard.

In message 9 I wrote: 'I tried to do this for a few other forms and then managed to convert from 95 in Access 2003'.
I know how to do conversion from 95. The problem i s with 'disappearing' form.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:29
SaveAsText is available in A97. Do you have access to that version?

PRLJacek

Local time
SaveAsText is available in A97. Do you have access to that version?
Windows XP, Access 97.

1. When I try to convert the file with Access 97 there is an error like in picture 1.
This is what happens when I click on a file.
2. When I want to import objects from the 1.mdb file into a new database, Access hangs without giving any message.
3. When I try to import a form from this file using VBA, there is 'Out of memory' error.

No way to do it! Haha.

Attachments

• 1. Access 97 error.png
    1. Access 97 error.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 2. Access stopped.png
    2. Access stopped.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 3. Out of memory.png
    3. Out of memory.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 48

ebs17

Local time
Based on the message in the first image, one might assume that the file is protected by group policies, i.e. user control as was possible until Acc2003.
This protection would then have to be repealed.
I've never looked into it, so I can't give any more specific advice.

PRLJacek

Local time
Based on the message in the first image, one might assume that the file is protected by group policies, i.e. user control as was possible until Acc2003.
This protection would then have to be repealed.
I've never looked into it, so I can't give any more specific advice.
If the database was protected, I wouldn't open it on my computer (VM Windows 95 and Access 95), so this is probably a bad lead. I can even open in Access 2003 but only a file with few imported objects from the main file - 1.mdb. I hope I described clearly.

PRLJacek

Local time
Do you have a .mdw file to go along with your db?
No.
This is a fake message from Access 97, I think, because there is no problem to open it in Access 2003, like I wrote earlier.
I really do not have any idea what to do. :)

Neros

Local time
Today, 10:29
Have you tried opening with A2007 on a virtual machine?
Another suggestion is try to decompile/compile/compact/repair the database. In most cases here, I fixed these kind of errors using there 4 actions, on this exact order. If is possible, do it on A2007 version (it can open older mdb files).

PRLJacek

Local time
Hi Neros.

There is no way to open/convert database 95 in Access 2007.
This is only possible in Access 97 or Access 2000 or Access 2003.
I have previously described attempts to open/convert a file in Access 97 and Access 2003.
First of all, I imported the forms themselves into a new file (in Access 95), because in the source file,
as I wrote earlier, there are 'invisible' forms, so they were only imported
the visible ones.
I compiled successfully in the new file. I tried this file (with just the forms).
open in Access 97 and I get the message as in image 1. Trying to open the original file in Access 97
I described earlier, message 13.
Attempting to open/convert in Access 2003 results in an error as in image 2.

I think I've done every possible combinations...

P.S.

I think there is one more option - import one form at a time and open the file in 2003. But there are 414 of these forms.
But as I was writing this, I thought that I could export forms to 414 files (in Access 95). I just don't know if it is possible to write code in VBA Access 2003 that would CONVERT each file and import one form from it, one by one, and then it would be known which form caused the above-mentioned problems? What do you think?

Attachments

• 1. Automation error.png
    1. Automation error.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 2. Access 2003 error.png
    2. Access 2003 error.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

PRLJacek

Local time
There is another problem, it is about queries.
As I wrote, the database is in Spanish.
In Windows 95 (Spanish) and Access 95 (Spanish) I tried to import queries from the source file to a new database and here's an interesting fact - an error, as in the picture. :) A special sign. Too many problems, haha.

Attachments

• Import queries English.png
    Import queries English.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Import queries Spanish.png
    Import queries Spanish.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 41

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom