Edit a row on continuous form while the other rows are locked.

BenMason

Local time
Today, 15:09
I have a continuous form with an edit button. On the continuous form, there’s an edit button for every row. I want to be able to highlight the row of the continuous form, store the row ID in a string, and then click the edit button to edit just that row only with the other rows locked. Is this even possible? This is basically for the user’s benefit, so they don’t make mistakes on the continuous form that is open to edit anything and no row locks.

I even tried with a datasheet to lock other rows and only edit the row I am on when the edit button is clicked. I like the datasheet because it has filter lookups. On the datasheet, there is just one edit button in the header. So, it's a main form with a datasheet sub form.

Is there a workaround for the continuous form? Or is it just better to use the datasheet or split form? Not sure how to lock all rows except the one I want to edit.

Thank you.

Ben

I would make the datasheet locked and set up the edit button to open the current record in a single form for editing.

See demo. The controls at the top should be hidden but left visible for demo.
You can also get rid of the unlock button in the row and just have a single one in the header. Will only let you edit the last selected row.

Attachments

Is there a workaround for the continuous form?
No workaround should be needed. If you lock the form, no controls can be edited. If you unlock the form, only the current record can be edited. To lock the rest of the records, simply relock the form using the form's Current event.

Last edited:
See demo. The controls at the top should be hidden but left visible for demo.
You can also get rid of the unlock button in the row and just have a single one in the header. Will only let you edit the last selected row.
MajP, it worked! I have several continuous forms and will use this method. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom