Fast export Access table to Excel

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:33
I have an Access table which has anywhere from 20000 to 80000 records. The number of table fields is variable ranging from 9 to 20. Exporting the table records one by one takes time (several minutes).

Is there a more time-efficient way of exporting the records.

In the specific case where the table has 20000 records with 9 fields, I can have the Excel spreadsheet prepared in advance with the specific field sequence that appears in the table.

Thanks,
John

If you just want to dump a table or a query into excel, just click/mark the table/query and select export form the menu and the wizzard will guide you through it.

JR

JR,

We are talking about a commercial product where the user needs to export with a click of a button.

John

JR, thanks for your reply,

Do you know which is the fastest way (timewise) to export?
John

No you have to test it, but the computers today are fast so just a recorddump should be pretty fast regardless of the methode.

What could take time is formatting the excel sheet if you want to do something fancy, or if you manipulate/evaluate the recordset prior to export.

JR

Just did a quick test using the code solution and it took less than a second to pull 25000 records over LAN from the time I clicked the button to excel was up and running with all the records.

JR

Thanks JR,

There is no need for formatting the Excel, since this will be preformatted.

I will trya bit later when I am in front of the pc.

Did you use "SendTQ2Excel" for your test?

Thanks John

Thanks JR,
I just tried it. It turned more than 2 minutes of run time into less than 1 second!!
Good job.
Many thanks.
John

To post reply,

The method I was looking for was CopyFromRecordset

objResultsSheet.Range("A3").CopyFromRecordset rst

where rst = Recordset (and could be RecordsetClone)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom