FedEx tracking from Access DBA (1 Viewer)

china99boy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:47
Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is possible, but would like some help or suggestions. I have an Access dba that employees enter data in daily and one of the fields require a FedEx tracking number(s) be added. Is it possible to code the field that holds the fedex number that once clicked it can link directly to the tracking status?

Thanks

CBrighton

Surfing while working...
Local time
Today, 11:47
I've not used FedEx, but can you give an example tracking number & URL so we can see the relationship between them?

Obviously a false tracking number is fine, as long as the format of the URL is the same and we can see if it's possible to construct the URL from just the tracking number.

china99boy

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks your reply.

I was able to add a command button that when click will go to the fedex site and check the status. My problem is, I am trying to be able to add multiple tracking number in the FedExTracking field. Currently it only works when I enter one tracking number. I was hoping the user can enter multiple tracking numbers. So after each number they could enter a space and then the next number. Once the button in click it will check the status of all numbers. Do you think this is possible.

The code below works for one number.

Private Sub Command89_Click()
FollowHyperlink _
"http://www.fedex.com/Tracking" & _
"?Language=english&cntry_code=us&tracknumbers=" & _
[fedExTracking]
End Sub

CBrighton

Surfing while working...
Local time
I don't have any tracking numbers to test with, but if you enter multiple tracking numbers in the tracking page (http://www.fedex.com/Tracking) does this give a URL which shows how multiple numbers are handled? Or does it do the work in the background and give you the results with a generic URL?

:edit:

I did it with random numbers and I see the URL doesn't reflect the numbers input.

Normally I'd take a look at the page source to try to see if I could access the code behind the button. I would then see what the button does or get the names of the textbox and command button and input data into one and click the other via IE automation.

However the source isn't displaying for me on the tracking page.

china99boy

Registered User.
Local time
Here is a couple of tracking # 795171133672 and 797501491177 to test.

Thanks again for taking the time to look at this.

china99boy

Registered User.
Local time
LOL, your right, very simple. Thanks. Will it be possible for the user to just click on the number or will that be to complicated?

CBrighton

Surfing while working...
Local time
Well, I can't see a way to have it work on multiple tracking numbers but work as soon as you click a number because it would just load the page for the first number which you click on rather than waiting for you to select all the numebrs which you want.

You could either have users input the numebrs, comma seperated, into a textbox or if you have a list of tracking numbers recorded in the database you could use that as the reciord source of a mulit-select listbox and use VBA to construct a comma seperated string out of all the selected numbers and open the URL.

You already have the code to generate the URL, if you wanted single tracking number tracking then you can certainly use that in the on click event of the control.

china99boy

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for you input. Would just leave it the way it is for simplicity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom