Finally

• Thread starter Thread starter Rich
  • Start date Start date
R

Rich

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking .

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun.

We drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents .

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And if YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

1968 a good year .

did all of the above - never did me any harm.

played kick the can - hide and seek - tag (or it) bulldog climbed trees - fell out of tree (often...) konkers (?)
I am sure i ate the mud pie ..- as a kid if you had a puddle and a stick then i was happy -

used to play pooh sticks on pooh bridge
the wordl was there to be discoverd usually with a few bruises -

long summer days - heaven

best years of my life i think were when i was 12- 13 i like to call them the custard years ..lashings and lashing of custard ...yummmm....

Rich

To add to your list

If I did something I was told not to (or vica versa) I got belted, not endless counselling and therapy sessions

I (eventually) realised that no meant NO

Midlife crisis at 21 Rich ? :eek:

But yes, in the 70's we had Thorens turntables with lacker records, in stead of Google and Youtub.
And we were able to calculate 122 * 2,5 just like that, without a pocket calculator or PC program.
And this was before the Nuclear blast at Chernobyl.

Rich, certainly sums up what kind of nanny state we now live in.

great post.. i was born in the 80's but got round to doing most that stuff! hippy parents i spose but you're right we have deffinately become a cotton wool nation this past decade or 2.

Midlife crisis at 21 Rich ? :eek:

But yes, in the 70's we had Thorens turntables with lacker records, in stead of Google and Youtub.
And we were able to calculate 122 * 2,5 just like that, without a pocket calculator or PC program.
And this was before the Nuclear blast at Chernobyl.

305. (mind you I had to double check it ..lol)

Our spell checkers were called dictionaries. You might learn some new words while you were looking up the ones you wanted to check.
There was no "quality time" with your parents. Parents knew it was the quantity of time that was important.
You saw your aunts, uncles and cousins several times per year, not just at Christmas.
Your grandparents were a constant part of your life because they lived nearby not in Spain or Florida.
The very idea of children seeing their parents drunk or high was thought to be child abuse.
Your "rights" ended when they conflicted with the rights of other.
People used words like fair and justice in the correct way. It wasn't unfair or unjust because it was inconvenient.

Last edited:
Rich

To add to your list

If I did something I was told not to (or vica versa) I got belted, not endless counselling and therapy sessions

I (eventually) realised that no meant NO

So true! I agree.

Many thanks to Rich for posting this. Just a little surprised that he thought it relevant given his youthful age(lucky sod!)

I also remember that we had to show respect to our elders. Wish the youth of today could learn that (sigh).

(Grumpily returns to work)

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking .

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

No wonder you're so messed up. :cool:

Seriously though, when I was a kid I remember riding my bike all over the place, and I thought it was great fun whenever we went somewhere in the old green station wagon to slide all over the back on a blanket whenever we turned a corner.

Several months ago I was at my Dad's house for a visit. He came out with me to help carry stuff and was watching me buckle Emily into her car seat. I said to him something about wondering what we ever used to do before we had those and he grinned and looked at me and said "We used to just tell you to hold on". We laughed about that for a few minutes.

I agree with most of this but I would never think of taking the kids anywhere without putting them in their seats, even if it weren't law. So many kids died needlessly in accidents they could have survived had they been buckled in properly. Same thing (probably) with the bike helmets. I do so want to protect her noggin. :o

Yes there is so much more traffic now that it would be silly to take unnecessary risks. I remember sitting in the back of our old estate car with the rear doors open and our legs hanging out. What happy days! I am sure the weather was better then too.

I am sure the weather was better then too.

It can't be because they've been telling us since the seventies that due to global warming our summers are going to be the same as those in the Med.:rolleyes:

I agree with most of this but I would never think of taking the kids anywhere without putting them in their seats, even if it weren't law. So many kids died needlessly in accidents they could have survived had they been buckled in properly. Same thing (probably) with the bike helmets. I do so want to protect her noggin. :o

There's no seatbelts for the pillions on the motorbike:eek:;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom