Form - Subform (1 Viewer)

moi

Local time
Today, 20:34
Dear all,

I have this tables (attached).. can someone please take a look on it and comment.

I know something is wrong here, but i can't figure out the correct fields of each tables.. I am thinking that i will just combine into one table, since it is a one-one relationship.

This table will store the buyers basic info and the lot he/she acquired..

I have some problem in relating buyer and lot, specially if record(s) will be deleted..

Thank you and appreciate any help.

Attachments

• Screenshot (58).png
    Screenshot (58).png
    67.3 KB · Views: 25

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:34
Please provide more information.Start with a 30,000 ft overview of the business involved. Add some detail to identify a buyer. What are they buying? What is important about the purchase? You have provided very, bare bones -- we need to put some flesh on the skeleton.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 13:34
Best to mark records as deleted and NOT actually delete them.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:34
We don't have context here so it is hard to advise. If you were to look at the tax records in the town hall, you would see this as ONE record. But, that is because the record book is a "flat file". With a relational database, you can make this two tables (or the 6 I suggest). That allows you to easily find all the properties purchased by a single buyer. It also allows you to have joint owners for a particular property. And then there is the history if you need to see purchases and sales over time. In the town all, the last purchase/sale may not even be in the same book as the current one because items are entered as they are recorded.

1. Do not prefix your field names. You will find this very annoying once you start trying to use the column names and have to type some number of useless characters before you can get any meaningful intellisense. There are cases where a suffix might be useful to distinguish between things like shipping and billing addresses. Addr1_shp, Addr2_shp, City_shp,.... Addr1_bil, Addr2_bil, City_bil, ....
2. All PK's should have meaningful names. don't use ID for all the PK names.
3. For sanity sake, be consistent in how you name things and follow some set of standards. the sufix "ID" is generally reserved for autonumbers. So AgtID would be the autonumber PK of the Agent table.
4. Buyers, sellers, agents are all "persons". Therefore they can all be stored in the same table. In fact, buyers are sellers at a different point in time and agents can be either a buyer or a seller and an agent in the same transaction.
5. You don't show all the columns of your Buyer table but I'm guessing it has lots of duplication of columns because you have at a minimum slots for buyer, seller, and agent. and possibly two of each.

So as tables I see:
1. Persons - name and address and other info that occurs only once.
2. ContactNumbers - allows multiple phone, email, etc ways to contact any person. If you put these in the person record, you keep having to change the format of the table as we get new ways to ID a person. Here is their X name and here is their FB name and this is their office phone and their cell phone and their home phone and emails to match, etc.
3, Roles - Buyer, Seller, Agent, etc?
4. Property - property description, block, lot, etc.
5. Transaction - PropertyID, date, time ( there could be back to back closings so the property might change hands multiple times in the same day), purchasePrice, etc.
6. TransactionPersons - this is the junction table that ties it all together. This junction table has a 3-part PK rather than the normal 2-part PK. TransID, PersonID, RoleID - at least two rows required for a complete transaction. One for buyer. One for Seller. This will be a complicated business rule to enforce. Then you can have multiple other parties. So, multiple sellers, multiple buyers, even multiple agents.

Once you define all your tables, don't forget to create relationships.

Reactions: moi

moi

Local time
We don't have context here so it is hard to advise. If you were to look at the tax records in the town hall, you would see this as ONE record. But, that is because the record book is a "flat file". With a relational database, you can make this two tables (or the 6 I suggest). That allows you to easily find all the properties purchased by a single buyer. It also allows you to have joint owners for a particular property. And then there is the history if you need to see purchases and sales over time. In the town all, the last purchase/sale may not even be in the same book as the current one because items are entered as they are recorded.

1. Do not prefix your field names. You will find this very annoying once you start trying to use the column names and have to type some number of useless characters before you can get any meaningful intellisense. There are cases where a suffix might be useful to distinguish between things like shipping and billing addresses. Addr1_shp, Addr2_shp, City_shp,.... Addr1_bil, Addr2_bil, City_bil, ....
2. All PK's should have meaningful names. don't use ID for all the PK names.
3. For sanity sake, be consistent in how you name things and follow some set of standards. the sufix "ID" is generally reserved for autonumbers. So AgtID would be the autonumber PK of the Agent table.
4. Buyers, sellers, agents are all "persons". Therefore they can all be stored in the same table. In fact, buyers are sellers at a different point in time and agents can be either a buyer or a seller and an agent in the same transaction.
5. You don't show all the columns of your Buyer table but I'm guessing it has lots of duplication of columns because you have at a minimum slots for buyer, seller, and agent. and possibly two of each.

So as tables I see:
1. Persons - name and address and other info that occurs only once.
2. ContactNumbers - allows multiple phone, email, etc ways to contact any person. If you put these in the person record, you keep having to change the format of the table as we get new ways to ID a person. Here is their X name and here is their FB name and this is their office phone and their cell phone and their home phone and emails to match, etc.
3, Roles - Buyer, Seller, Agent, etc?
4. Property - property description, block, lot, etc.
5. Transaction - PropertyID, date, time ( there could be back to back closings so the property might change hands multiple times in the same day), purchasePrice, etc.
6. TransactionPersons - this is the junction table that ties it all together. This junction table has a 3-part PK rather than the normal 2-part PK. TransID, PersonID, RoleID - at least two rows required for a complete transaction. One for buyer. One for Seller. This will be a complicated business rule to enforce. Then you can have multiple other parties. So, multiple sellers, multiple buyers, even multiple agents.

Once you define all your tables, don't forget to create relationships.
Hi Pat,
As i read your answers i see that i did make my tables all wrong, oh well i am learning step by step..

Thank you sir..

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:34
Pat's pretty good about this commonly incorrect assumption, but you should know this: Pat is "she" not "he." Just for future reference.

moi

Local time
M
Pat's pretty good about this commonly incorrect assumption, but you should know this: Pat is "she" not "he." Just for future reference.
Thanks the-doc-man, i will take note of that..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom