Get a Word definition from online into Access ?

murray83

Games Collector
Local time
Today, 17:10
you see the title and that's just what i would like to be able to do. for my hangman example has a word list and people playing ( mostly my kids ) asked if it could say a clue to the word

have looked and seen some ideas for excel but not sure if that can be done in access, any help would be gratefully appreciated even if it cant be done. cheers all

Attachments

you see the title and that's just what i would like to be able to do. for my hangman example has a word list and people playing ( mostly my kids ) asked if it could say a clue to the word

have looked and seen some ideas for excel but not sure if that can be done in access, any help would be gratefully appreciated even if it cant be done. cheers all
Look for APIs that connect to websites which offer the kind of lookup you want.

I would just wrangle the data you have already for words and use a site like EasyDefine.com to obtain most of the definitions. Then just import that data back into excel or access and split it into two columns based on the "-" symbol. Then you have most of your definitions. The remaining words without definitions just have to be done manually. Once your get to that point, it's easy to enter new words and definitions going forward without making it more difficult than it has to be.

have looked and seen some ideas for excel but not sure if that can be done in access

If the Excel ideas used VBA, then there is at least a decent chance that you can do it in Access VBA. That is because both of them use the same VBA library to do whatever they do. The only difference is the objects that they use - Workbooks vs. Database. Otherwise, VBA is VBA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom