Going to Japan!

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 23:02
Hey everyone! Long time no type! I've just been planning my wedding. That's right, Vass is getting married. I will be heading to Japan on Friday, where I will have a traditional Japanese ceremony to permanently take me off the market.

Wish me (us) luck!

Vassago

Really ? I'm living in Japan now ! Where are you going to go ? South of Japan or North of Japan ? ^^ This place 's very great ! Hope you be interested in Japan !

Congratulations Vass. I wish both of you every happiness. Just curious, is your wife-to-be Japanese or did Japan just take your fancy as a wedding venue?

Congratulations Vass! That sounds like a fabulous trip. I hope everything goes well and I wish you luck.

Are any family members able to make the trip, or are you going by yourselves?

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

We are having the ceremony in Japan and no, no family is going, but we are having it recorded. We will definitely post some pics when we return.

We will spend the first week in Tokyo, then head to Koyasan for an overnight stay in a Buddhist temple. After the morning rituals, we will go to Kyoto for two nights stay in a Ryokan and see geisha perform at a private engagement. We will travel to Fujisan and hike up the mountain overnight to see the sunrise from the top. We then make our way to Hakone to unwind and relax after the long hike in a hot spring resort with our own private hot spring.

clerics, do you have any recommendations on what to see in the locations we will be?

Rich said:
On their honeymoon :confused: ;)

Typically, family members like to attend the weddings of their kids/brothers/sisters, etc. I didn't say they would be spending the entire time together. :rolleyes: :D

MrsGorilla said:
Typically, family members like to attend the weddings of their kids/brothers/sisters, etc.
Ah yes, they attend the ceremony, stuff themselves on the free food, get pi**ed, spew up and then have a punch up, nothing like a good reception. :D

Rich said:
Ah yes, they attend the ceremony, stuff themselves on the free food, get pi**ed, spew up and then have a punch up, nothing like a good reception. :D

Sad to say I believe that's a typically British practice in varying degrees depending on social status.
;)

Vassago,

Congratulations to the both of you!
:)

Can't wait to see the pics!

chasing the sun. When we landed, it was 1pm July 1st, so we still had about 7 hours before dusk. The second plane was nice, a Boeing 777, which had plenty of room and including on-demand movies and three meals.

July 1st - Landed in Tokyo at 1pm. After an hour bus ride to our hotel which planned the wedding, we arrived at the hotel in the Ginza district and immediately were rushed out to Wedding Pledge, the company that helped dress us. Traditional japanese wedding outfits are complicated and requre a licensed professional to help dress you. After meeting with them for two hours, we realized we were missing some "required" articles they would rent to us. We ate food from the 7-Eleven located at the first floor of the hotel.

July 2nd - We explored Ginza, Harajuku, and Asakusa. Harajuku is famous for it's cosplay area, where hundreds of Japanese youth (14-25) gather and dress in cosplay every Sunday. They definitely had better costumes than the US during an anime convention. They also have a famous shopping street lined with stores geared toward the younger generation and a shop dedicated to Snoopy. Ginza is a major name brand shopping district with more department stores than you can count on two hands spanning floors high. We went to a few before getting tired of the annoying sale announcements from the employees. We checked out the Sony Building, only to find it closed on weekends. Asakusa is a shopping district with more traditional style markets. We explored a Japanese style "flea market" and found some missing pieces to our outfits cheaper than the rental fees from Wedding Pledge. We ate a Korean Buffet where you cook your own food. The cost was high, but included all you can eat and drink, including alcoholic drinks (beer, wine, sake, mixed drinks). It was excellent.

I must commend Japan on it's transportation system. They have subways, trains, and buses going EVERYWHERE in Japan at almos all times. If you miss one, there is usually another along within minutes. Very convinient and cheap compared to Taxi costs. Tokyo is a dense city much like New York where the only traffic is Taxis and Buses. Most people don't have their own car in Tokyo.

July 3rd - We went to the US Embassy to obtain the required documents needed to officiate our marriage in Japan. The hotel staff was happy to translate the documents for us. We would not be anywhere without our wonderful wedding planners who did everything for us. We had our ceremony at Kanda Myoujin. Very beautiful ceremony. The bride stole the show. :D After the ceremony, we ate at a nice Japanese teppenyaki restaurant (the kind where you sit around the cook and he cooks for you). It was very expensive and very different from American "Japanese" teppenyaki restaurants. I think we will stick to American teppenyaki.

July 4th - Officiated the marraige at the local city hall close to our hotel. We were nervous because people online said they didn't think we could do it without a permanent Japanese address and alien registration card. After looking over two law books with a couple other employees, the clerk said all we need is our passports. PHEW! He assisted us in translating our names into Katukana (Japanese longhand), even though the US Embassy website said they couldn't help, and again, two people from our hotel were happy to sign and seal as witnesses to our marraige. We checked out of our hotel and left for Shibuya, a district of Tokyo lined with shopping centers and famous for Love Hotel Hill.

Japan has accomodations known as love hotels where guests can stay for "rests" of about 2-3 hours which usually cost about 3000 yen or "Stays" overnight which usually cost starting at 8000 yen. This is much cheaper than normal Holiday Inn type of hotels in Japan, which start at 10000 yen and up, and you usually get much nicer rooms for your money. You walk into the lobby and there will be a display of every room in the hotel, the ones lit up are still available. You choose your room by pressing a button and the clerk gives you a key from behind a wall with a small slot for exchanging money and the key. Very private!

We walked around for hours before and looked at dozens of love hotels before finding a nice love hotel called Carribean Resort. The room was spacious, included a nice soft bed, 40 inch plasma tv, ps2, karaoke machine, dvd/vhs player, free pay channels (including adult channels), and a huge jacuzzi tub with jets and a tv in the jacuzzi room, all for about 10000 yen. The hotel also gave us free dessert, a nice tropical sundae, for staying overnight. Compare with our room at our previous hotel with a small 19 inch tube tv and cramped bed at 18000 yen/night, this was paradise!

July 5th - We went to Odaiba, a nice man-made island famous for it's sites such as the Statue of Liberty, a minature variation of the US Statue of Liberty given to Japan by France after the loaner Statue of Liberty they had for a year or so became so popular. We checked out the sites there and ate at a Japanese "Chinese" restaurant before going back to SHibuya to start our hunt for another love hotel. The second one was nice, with another plasma tv, no Jazuzzi.

July 6th - We took a tour of the Imperial Palace in Tokyo and the East Gardens. It was very lovely. After the tour, we went to Shinjuku to find another love hotel in preperation of our trip from Shinjuku to Osaka to Mount Koya.

July 7th - Left Tokyo to Mount Koya. The ride went from Tokyo to Osaka on a Bullet Train, then from Osaka to Mount Koya on a regular train. It took hours! We eventually arrived in Mount Koya and set foot to our hotel.

Mount Koya is famous for it's dozens of temples that allow overnight stays at a nice rate. You can stay overnight in a temple, including a Japanese Buddhist style dinner and breakfast (no meat) for little money. Our room was very nice and the food very different.

July 8th - In the morning, we did the Buddhist prayers with the monks. We then set out for the largest graveyard in Japan and explored for a couple hours before leaving Mount Koya for Kyoto. We stayed overnight in a Ryokan, complete with private Japanese style bath and two meals. The food was excellent and there was definitely plenty of it. We went to Gion Corner to see the shows they offer of Traditional japanese heritage, such as Kabuki Theater and a true Maiko (apprentice Geisha) performance.

July 9th - We explored Kinkakuji, a temple covered in Gold and the Nijo Castle. Kyoto is full Japanese heritage sites and is the place to go to experience old Japan before technology came along.

July 10th - We left for Mount Fuji to begin our biggest hike every. By the time we arrived there, we didn't have time to climb from the base of the mountain, so we shared a taxi with some other visitors from the US and UK to the Fifth Station, about half way up. We climbed overnight starting at 9pm until we reached 3250 Meters high. By then, the sun was rising so we didn't make it to the top before sunrise as we hoped, so we gave up and climbed back down. It was much tougher than either of us anticipated because it gets cold and windy as you climb. It really wears you down. I would try it again, now that I know what to expect and the view from where we achieved our sunrise shots was amazing!

July 11th - We arrived in Hakone in the evening. I surprised her by renting our very own Hanare, a private guest house with a large private authentic hot spring bath both inside and outside. The house was huge and as before at the ryokan, was Japanese style. The food was even better than the last hotel and the hot spring baths were wonderful. They left you feeling so clean and content after relaxing in them (especially after our climb). If you ever go to Japan, you must stay at a hot spring hotel at least one night and soak.

July 12th - We went to the Hakone Open Air Museum, where many works of Picasso are displayed. They had wonderful statues on display on the way to Picasso's studio replication, where you could view original works by Picasso. We then attempted the Round Course plan which consists of a cable car ride up the side of the mountain, a rope way ride over Owakudani, a site where the volcanic activities can be observed, with hot rivers and sulferic gases being released, then a ride across Lake Ashi on a boat. Unfortunately, on our way across the rope ways, a VERY thick fog moved in and completely covered everything! We could see two feet in front of us! They cancelled all boat rides and we had to return by cable car back to our hotel. When we arrived the fog was literally rolling down the mountain and soon came over us there. It literally looked like the fog from the movie "The Fog" (the remake, not the original.)

July 13th - We left early to do the boat ride across Lake Ashi. This time, we succeeded. It was a great trip. Half way across, we could see the fog coming in again, so we had only just made it. We left Hakone and went back to Tokyo. We stopped in Asakusa again to see if they had any gifts we could take back to the US. We ate at Hard Rock Cafe in Ueno Station in Tokyo before leaving for Narita.

July 14th - We left for the US.

Overall a lovely trip. I would recommend a visit to anyone. The people are very helpful and kind. We had absolutely no problems getting around and seemed to have karma on our side the entire trip. That's about it.

Wow! That sounds like a fantastic trip, Vass. Congratulations!

Sounds great, i've only been for 3 days on a stop over from Australia, we stayed in Tokyo just by Ueno park in this hotel. :cool:

hotel11839.jpg

It's definitely somewhere i'd go back to for longer.

Sounds like a great trip! I'm glad everything went well for you while you were there. I've always thought that would be a really interesting place to visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom